Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jangrl
    off topic but how does one handle that? you know, when someone tells you, 'you have to read this book!' and goes out of their way to lend you/buy you a copy or whatever, and it's totally not your taste. do you try and read it anyway to be polite, or do you end up sending it to the local goodwill without remorse?

jangrl
    Luckily graduate school has taught me how to skim, so I skim it in an hour or so and either send it back to them (if they lent it to me) with some brief comments that prove I read it but tactfully say its not my thing or if they gave it to me I sell it on half.com.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    Brdgt, don't be too hard on the Oprah Book Club. They DID put The Heart is a Lonely Hunter on there, which I READ THIS YEAR! I forgot about that one.

It's great. But then, it's an older book, so maybe older books on the bookclub have more merit than newer ones?
    It's not the actual Oprah book club that bothers me, but the type of book that often gets picked for it - it has at least two divorces, one abusive husband, a dead mother, and a runaway child. There's probably a quilt in there somewhere too.

Didn't they have the book about the overweight girl, too? I secretly want to read that.

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    Didn't they have the book about the overweight girl, too? I secretly want to read that.
    Do you mean She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb? That was an Oprah book. It was OK -- not great, not terrible. It was one of those "I know this is really just a bestseller more than anything but I'm trying to be literary" books. I liked his other book better (it was called either I Know This Much Is True or I Know These Things Are True or something like that). It was less literary, more blatant in its constant attempts to be pulling your heartstrings, and I appreciate a book that is upfront about the fact that it's being manipulative. Also, it was like 900 pages long, and I like long books.

Since I work in a library I read tons more books than I used to and have made it a habit to read at least one book a day (not as impressive as it sounds since they are all children's books, but it is fun).

Here's at least what I remember reading in 2004:
    *Me Talk Pretty One Day -- David Sedaris (Loved it)
    *Naked -- David Sedaris (good)
    *Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim -- David Sedaris (good)
    *Wigfield -- Amy Sedaris (hilarious)
    *The Pleasure of my Company -- Steve Martin (good)
    *Speaking With the Angel -- a collection of short stories edited by Nick Hornby (pretty good)
    *The Nanny Diaries -- Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus (eh, it was ok)
    *The Devil Wears Prada -- Lauren Weisberger (I picked it up since it was so popular, definetly not impressed)
    *It's Always Something -- Gilda Radner (Sad, funny, but touching since I've been dealing with a family member with cancer)
    *Mommie Dearest -- Cristina Crawford (shocking)
    *If Chins Could Kill -- Bruce Campbell (I love Bruce Campbell)
    *The Five People You Meet in Heaven -- Mitch Albom (another one I just picked up because it was so popular, it was ok)
    *Microserfs -- Douglas Coupland (good)
    *Autobiography of a Fat Bride -- Laurie Notaro (funny, good)
    *I Love Everyone and Other Lies -- Laurie Notaro (also funny)
    *Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason -- Helen Fielding (Didn't enjoy it as much as the first book)
    *Everyday Psycho Killers: A History for Girls -- Lucy Corin (my former Eng. professor wrote it, but the book has a truly disturbing subject matter that often made me physically ill).

I have a feeling I'm missing a few, but I have a habit of not finishing books that I can't get into. In addition to reading humorous books, I really love reading biographies/autobiographies.

77 books in a year? Woweee! I'm your fan.

I read a book per month for my book club, and after that...sometimes I read another novel, sometimes I browse a few non-fiction books (crafty, nutrition, health, money...).

I'm with blumen, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris was one of my favourites last year! I also really like Wacky Chicks by Simon Doonan. The others I read are mostly forgettable. Right now I'm reading The Darling by Russell Smith, and I quite like it.

Excellent thread - I'm making notes!

I read a lot of books this year (largely because I didn't have a TV from January to September) but the most memorable were: Join Me by Dany Wallace which had me laughing out loud on the bus, Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro which was pretty clever, Oryx and Crake by the marvellous Margaret Atwood and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown which really got my book group talking well past closing time.

My next book group read arrived from Amazon this morning - The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk. I love new books - can't wait to get stuck into it over the Christmas holidays...

I'm so jealous at how much reading you all get done! Wow. I'm pretty good when it comes to reading forum posts, but that's about it.... Lol

wow everyone has read so much! the livejournal was such a great idea!! i am starting mine today. i plan to read a lot over break and now my new years resolution is to read 75 books!! i am excited and have already written down tons of books from your lists!

Good Reads All ...

I, too, work at a library, but I could never hope to join the "book a day" club! Most impressive!

I'm part of the Library's Dublin Literary Award Selection Committee ( http://www.impacdublinaward.ie/ ), so most of my reading is linked to that.

But good reads of this year include:
    Queen of Dreams by Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni
    Kite Runner by Kahled Hosseini
    Candyfreak by Steve Almond
    Danish Girl by Daniel Ebershoff

Brava to those who loved Middlesex and Time Traveller's Wife. Anybody read Life of Pi?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads