Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rereading books

Rereading books

Does anyone else like to re-read books? I sometimes think I'm really cheating myself out of new books because I love to read books I've already read. But I always get something new out of it so I figure its okay.

The books I re-read last year were all of Jane Austen's novels, Madame Bovary and a young adult book I cannot recommend enough, "The Push Cart War" by Jean Merrill. It is about giant trucks and their attempts to take over New York City and the organized resistance by the push cart vendors. It is such a fantastic and inventive book, I might even re-read it this year!

2. # ADS

i have a few books i like to re-read: jane eyre, harriet the spy and the god of small things.

the push cart war is awesome! i think i'll re-read asap! thanks for reminding me of that one.

I'd completely forgotten about The Push Cart War!

I don't reread grown-up books that often, but I do enjoy re-reading books I liked as a kid. I'm surprised at how little my taste has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by sallysunshine
    I do enjoy re-reading books I liked as a kid. I'm surprised at how little my taste has changed.
    This is true for me too. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Thorn Birds, and Gone with the Wind are three of my favorite re-reads.

I like reading collections of short stories over and over. In fact they are great for the bedside or even the potty, because you can pick it up and choose any story at random to fill a short time.

Favorites in recent years:

Self Help and Like Life, both by Lorrie Moore.
    The Bust Guide to the New Girl Order (not fiction but you know).
    A book of women's fiction, I forgot the name.
    Drown by Junot Diaz, depressing but very very good.

Sorry, forgot to log in. That Guest post just above was by me.

I've never reread books before, but now for the first time ever I have a small list of ones I want to reread. I don't know what's changed. Maybe it's because I've been keeping track of what I read.

Every time I see The Time Traveler's Wife, I want to pick it up and read it again. This has NEVER happened to me before.

I've read The Magic Mountain four times and quiet a few books at least twice, recently, The Plague.

The god of small things was a fantastic book- I would definately reread that one.

I like to reread books and even have some that I like to read every year because they inspire some sort of longing or hope in me that always makes me feel more "myself" and less the flesh and bones adult I've become. And I like to revisit that sort of golden trancendence regularly.

I re-read all the time. Fave re-reads include Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels books for good, gothic romance stuff, Charles Dickens, and Agatha Christie stories, esp. her short stories. I also re-read lots of children's books like the Harry Potter series, The Green Knowe series, Half-Magic, the Susan Cooper Dark is Rising series, and all those Whitman Publishing & Grosset & Dunlap series books that were out in the 60s and 70s - Trixie Belden, the Dana Girls, Nancy Drew (of course!), Donna Parker, Judy Bolton, Meg Mysteries, etc.

Patty

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads