Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don't know how you want to go about this, quixotic, but if there is an aspect of something I want to research before writing a lengthy piece, I haunt all bookstores and online resales of books for anything remotely touching on that topic. Sometimes it's only a tangent, but that's what I need for a push in a new direction for information.

It sounds like a great topic to me, too. I'm thinking I have an old Time-Life or Natl Geog book on handcrafts and appalachian development, i have amerindian stuff on how vessels were made or designs were inspired. On the roots of jazz in gospel and african tribal music. All kinds of arcana.

Anyhow, this is a good board for making contacts to talk about such stuff. Hodge was doing more contemporary and feminist craft research, but she might have touched on some of this. And ??? in Sweden or Norway was doing a dissertation on the evolution of craft and perpetuating the techniques.

Fertile grounds, these.

2. # ADS

If you were writing a hip girl craft book, would you expect to create the crafts and photograph them yourself as part of the text/ theme or wait for them to get you a more professional setup?

if you were writing a book

Bookish asked: If you were writing a hip girl craft book, would you expect to create the crafts and photograph them yourself as part of the text/ theme or wait for them to get you a more professional setup?

You might wait a long time for that, depending on your publisher. My first craft (sewing) book, I had to pay for photography myself. By the second, the publisher gave me a photo budget, so it got better. The most recent was beautiful with professional photographer and models.
    But first you need a book proposal. Make the crafts, use your friends' crafts to fill in (with their enthusiastic permission, of course) and photo them the best you can. Publishers you approach will realize they are for ideas only, not finished images.
    And good luck!
    >S

National Novel Writing Month

You should check out National Novel Writing Month in November. There's a website at www.nanowrimo.org.
    I participated last year and sure enough, at the end of November, I had written a novel! Utterly satisfying.
    The idea is to just write, write, write. To "win" you must write 50,000 words and you can post your progress on the site. The best part is that you are doing it with so many other people so you can all agonize and complain together.
    I know it's a ways off, but you all should give it a thought.

lizzymahoney, i've been researching this sort of stuff for the past year and a half, but only lately have started to realise that i could turn it into an actual book or atleast part of one.

but, i want to go from an ethnographic and sociological point of view, which means getting lots of interviews, lots of time and travel.

i keep thinking that i might be able to get a grant if i could put a proposal together, but am not sure if that's just wishful thinking?

oops! the 'guest' post above was from me, who forgot to log in!

x

quix, how much published writing do you have? One way to pursue this could be to contact Nat'l Geog writers with tangential topics in years past, or other groups like Smithsonian or whatever you can find in London.

With another writer they've published on your side, you may be able to launch a tentative story proposal for a magazine piece, then go from there for grant money. Seems you would find out if there is an interest in the topic, plus have a major publisher on your side.

There are probably academic journals that would be similarly inclined, but i think they are less likely to underwrite a project or help you get grant money without a track record.

Dont know, just musing.

Hmmm. I've read some recent books by non-academics on things like food history, and my sense is that before they wrote the books, they had already kind of established themselves as journalists. I'm wondering if the thing to do is to start locally, research topics that are related to your interests, and try to get some articles published. Once you've established yourself, you might be more attractive to the kind of people who give away free money.

ChelleBelle23
    Hi everyone,
    I work in publishing too, so if you're at the querying/finding someone to buy your book stage I would love to help. I work for a literary agency who represents fiction and non, and we love chicks who write!

i started off writing music reviews in college, and then did creative writing that i was scared to show anyone, and then just now resurface needing either to try and get my phd so i can get some funded research time or start submitting stuff and writing more so i can pump up my resume and one day write something more substantial when i have the backing to do it.

i've always written, but it's only in the past few months that i've really seriously looked into the possibility of being able to feed myself and write about what i want to write about.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads