Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

anyone writing a book?

i'd love to talk shop with other authors! maybe we can all share info here!

2. # ADS

I am! It's a little on the slow side as it is sort of my "third string" project right now. My goal this year is to get an article published though but I've had a few book ideas- one that I've written the intro to and started researching! I wouldn't be any help with industry info or connections but I can encourage and proofread with the best of them!

Keri

oh, great idea. i've got a novel that i want to write and i just proposed a crafty-style book for new parents. my challenges are how to make time for writing with two small children! kathy, i'm going to need your help and advice because I know you've done it!

Awesome! I've been checking out another group where authors post questions ("what color of shoes to morticians wear", etc) or "what is the best way to write a query letter"/ etc...I don't really fit in there!

It would be so great to start something like that here! We can all support each other and offer experience!

As far as writing with kids - I can honestly say the only time I get to do it - no matter if they were 10 months or 10 years - is when they are alseep!

Right now that is after 10 pm, so my sleep time has been cut back drastically while I finish my novel, but I push myself and think "If I don't do it, it will never get done and I'll feel like crap!"

And bookish, i think motivation and proofing are just as important as industry stuff!

I'm writing a dissertation, which is hopefully the rough draft of a book. But it's a pretty different process.

Anyway, I used to work in publishing, and I'm a bit cynical about it, so if anyone is at the dealing-with-publishers stage and wants to whine, I promise to provide a sympathetic ear!

I agree. Encouragement & motivation are necessary to writing. I have been trying to write a novel, but keep getting bogged down with doing research. I love research because when I read a book, even a fiction, about a certain area of the country, I want to know that a particular mentioned flower is really grown in that area. How can I get out of reseasrach mode & into more creative flow mode?

Like sallysunshine used to, I currently work in publishing. If you want any advice or what have you, let me know. I'm not an editor, and we don't publish fun books, so I sadly am not in a position to acquire anyone's book... BUT I'm always glad to advise!

my tip for creative flow - i did National Novel Writing Month and it was awesome. You can do it anytime of the year. Just sit down and start typing your story, don't stop, don't think back or fix typos, just get it out until you type "the end".

Then you can start at the beginning and add in the research, tighten, etc...

But none of it will happen unless you get it on paper! They are just owrds, you can erase them at will!

ok, i have a question for people who work in publishing - for fiction...

is it true that even though you pour over your manuscript, trying to perfect it before submitting it, that it will end up being changed all around anyway once it is (or if it is) purchased?

i'm familiar with non-fiction, but not fiction...

I've always wanted to try National Novel Writing Month - the people I know who have tried it, loved it.

I've got quite a few ideas for books at various stages of development. I never lack for ideas, but I often have trouble completely finishing my millions of projects - especially books. I think organization has been part of the problem. I've got little pieces of paper scattered all over my life with ideas and notes and facts and numbers and people. My newest organizational tool is a pda, and I have high hopes. It's been about a week and I've already got some lists going. At least this way the little bits should be all gathered together, which might make getting to the next stage a little easier.

I do have a question about getting started with non-fiction (specifically crafty, of course) books. I know when writing for periodicals a query letter is the way to go. How would you go about getting started on the path to actually getting a book published? Should I start submitting query letters to publishers, or work on getting one book finished and try to get an agent with that manuscript? Any advice? Thanks!

I did non-fiction, craftychica, so I can't help!

I worked for an itty-bitty, pretty specialized publisher, culinarymartyr, and we actually did sometimes publish unsolicited manuscripts. I don't think that's too common, but it's probably more common with specialty publishers. If you want to try to do it without an agent, I would pick a publisher that specializes in books similar to yours. Send a cover letter that succinctly explains your book idea, explains why the book would find an audience (ie there's lots of interest in this craft or in your take on it, as evidenced by, say, hits to websites or the popularity of similar books), and shows how your book fits with the rest of their list. Then send a sample chapter or two. Don't send a whole manuscript: it's expensive for you, and they won't read it all. You may be better off if you can tell them that you have a completed manuscript, but you don't have a lot to lose if you give it a shot before you've written the whole thing. You can always resubmit it once it's done.

I'd take this all with a grain of salt: as I said, I worked for a weird little publisher. But I did read the slush pile, and I was more likely to send on well-crafted queries that were accompanied by a really interesting chapter or two.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads