View Poll Results: Do you finish every book you start reading?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 20.75%
  • No

42 79.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Putting down a book...

Do you finish every single book that you start reading? Do you feel guilty about putting down a book that you don't like? Do you force yourself to finish what you start reading?

Usually I'm pretty good about finishing everything I start reading because even if I think it's utter crap I'm either pleasantly surprised by the time I reach the end; or at least I've read it and can form my own opinion of it and hope others can avoid the agony I went through. (That and they say good writers are good readers so I try to be a good reader.)

Anyways, I ask because I'm reading, or rather attempting to read, The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up by Dan Zevin and I just don't like it. I don't care for his style of writing. I'm not particularly fond of his tone, and I just think the forty-one pages I have read are just rather generic and plain and it doesn't draw me in. I have no desire to keep reading. I don't want to finish this chapter, much less the entire book.

So what books haven't you finished? Or what books have you forced yourself to read through the very end?

2. # ADS

I don't finish a lot of books. Recently, I decided not to finish "Kick Me" by Paul Feig - just got bored - and "The Da Vinci Code" - couldn't get into it.

I used to try to finish books but now I figure life's too short to forcemyself to try to finish something I'm supposed to be reading for fun.

for a long time i thought that i only had to read one book at a time, but then i started keeping several on my nightstand and dipping into each of them depending on my mood. some of them get finished, some of them don't, but i learn something from all of them, even if it's just 'wow. that guy's writing style is really annoying!'

I used to make myself finish books, too, but it's gotten to the point where there are so many that I want to read and so little time to do it that I don't feel like it's a good use of my time anymore.

Examples: chick-lit that's so chick-litty that it makes me want to scratch out my eyes; non-fic that is written in a really uninteresting way, or makes me too paranoid for my own good (like medical non-fiction about brain malfunctions, Oliver Sacks, I'm looking at you); books that have so many typos I want to maul the editor. Generally, stuff that makes reading a drag. (Unless it's something I know is so good for me, info-wise, that it would be a shame not to read it.)

Sometimes I can not stop myself from reading a book from cover to cover no matter how terrible it is, But I still selected "no" because there have been times where I threw the book and never collected it again.

I put down "Middlesex" and almost didn't pick it back up, but luckily I did because I ended up loving it.

The one book I can think of right now that I only started was "Wonder Boys"

Forgive me if this is stupid, but does the book Wonder Boys have anything to do with the movie of the same name?

Quote Originally Posted by KittenHasAWhip
    Forgive me if this is stupid, but does the book Wonder Boys have anything to do with the movie of the same name?
    funny you should ask, the movie was taken from the book...the day I decided to give up on the book I was flipping through the TV and the movie was on so I just watched that. (no one scream at me, that is very unusual for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkster
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenHasAWhip
    funny you should ask, the movie was taken from the book...the day I decided to give up on the book I was flipping through the TV and the movie was on so I just watched that. (no one scream at me, that is very unusual for me)
    I was asking because I'd never heard of the book but I have seen the movie. Usually I'm all about reading a book before seeing the movie but I waver sometimes too so it's all good :) Tho' I am hellbent on reading the Series of Unfortunate Events books before seeing the movie. (And I've heard the movie doesn't quite follow the books but that as a movie it's good in it's own way.)

And I realize I've put down more books than I realize because I was an English major and I'd start reading books for my classes and then just never get around to having the time to actually finish them :P Tho' I do still plan on finishing The Life of Teresa of Āvila, but that'll be later. Way later knowing me.

i always have a book on tape in the car and a book on my nightstand that travels with me in my purse....i pretty much like to finish everything i start.

I used too. By the end of high school I could honestly say the only book I hadn't finished that I had started was Treasure Island, but those days are long gone. I am usually reading several at a time, and sometimes one just falls by the wayside. I did finally get rid of my stack of books that I felt I "should" read. (Okay, it was more like an entire bookcase.) I had started a lot of them, usually for a class, and convinced myself that a well-read person should know these works. Now I've decided that there are way too many books out there that I want to read to waste my time on guilt-reading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads