Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Catcher in the Rye (first time ever)
    started Notes from the Underground by Doestoyevsky
    Guerilla Marketing Handbook (recommend for any business bes and wannabes)

2. # ADS

the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime -mark haddon (very recommended!)
    the time traveler's wife (if you're in the mood for sap)
    in a sunburned country -bill bryson (very funny travel writer in Australia)
    dress your family in corderoy and denim -david sedaris (as usual, he's hysterical)
    the nanny diaries (we've all read this one)

i wasn't too much of a reader this month. i keep getting distracted every time i pick up a book. it's deplorable.

anyway, i finally read (and finished!) the life of pi by yann martel. i was okay until the end. which annoyed me.

and finished john guy's biography of mary queen of scots (my heart is my own), which gave me new found appreciation of mary. at 608 pages of hefty history and lots of names, it took me months.

i also read being peace by thich nhat thanh. food for thought, for sure.

Normally I would have read more, but I was pretty busy this January.

A Collection of Short Stories and Poems by Edgar A. Poe -
    I'm a huge fan of E.A.P., so obviously I enjoyed this. It was just some small book that was only 5 dollars, that I grabbed on my way to pay at Barnes and Noble.

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter -
    I read this for a second time this month, because the first time I read it [about a year ago], I rushed through it. I'm not sure most people would enjoy it, but I certainly did.

Alices Adventures in Wonderland AND Through The Looking-Glass -
    Again, I've read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland before, and read it again because I adore it, but I've never read+finished Through The Looking-Glass before this month.

Saying It Out Loud -
    A book that's abit simpler than most I've been reading, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, and, yet again, I've read this twice before. It's a quick read, and I was feeling particularly lazy, so I just curled up in my chair and read it in one sitting.

the time traveler's wife (if you're in the mood for sap)

Oh, how can you say this? This was the one book I read this month and I loved it! :-) It was a Christmas gift - I thought it was lovely. I love when books are very satisfying.

I think setting a reading goal is an incredibly excellent idea! Time seems to drift and I often find myself thinking "Oh, I really wish I read more, I just love the pleasure I get from reading, oh, I used to always read a lot" etc., etc. I think I let work and other things sidetrack me. I think setting a goal will give me a little direction and focus!

Brdgt, you read 9 books in January - 2 a week! Inspiring!! I think my goal will be 50 books between now and the end of the year.

Where do you (everyone) get your books? My local library is quite hopeless. There are a couple of decent 2nd hand bookshops around but to read voraciously may become expensive if I need to buy most of my books from bookshops.

P.S While I was contenplating a goal, I remembered why I tend to read in fits and starts - I get consumed by books - sleep, eating, life tends to suffer. My husband is exactly the same way and I think that's one of the reasons I married him.

Pudding - I've found that some grocery stores or convenience stores have a rack of used books for cheap. Have you tried asking your library to get certain books? My library takes requests. They don't always get the books I want, but they're pretty good in general. Those secondhand bookstores might take books in trade. Bring in some old books that you hate, or have never read, and either get cash, or more books. Then when you're done them, bring them back once again.

Have you heard of http://www.bookcrossing.com? You might be able to pick some books up that way. And if you have some spare time, a lot of places will send you books if you promise to do a review for them. I've never done it, but I know others have.

I read in bursts too. I hate having to put a book down. It takes me out of that world, and I never seem to enjoy the book as much. It used to drive my mom crazy. I'd eat breakfast, go to the bathroom (blush), and walk to walk to elementary school with a book in my hand the whole time. Books were (and still are) some of my best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by pudding
    Brdgt, you read 9 books in January - 2 a week! Inspiring!! I think my goal will be 50 books between now and the end of the year.

Where do you (everyone) get your books? My local library is quite hopeless. There are a couple of decent 2nd hand bookshops around but to read voraciously may become expensive if I need to buy most of my books from bookshops.

To be fair I am a graduate student, so it's what I do for living!
    I've been lucky to always have access to a university library and good public libraries (does your public library have interlibrary loan with other libraries in your region?)
    I'm also a big fan of half.com (both selling and buying).
    One of the neat things we did in my book club back in Boston was swap books at our meetings, I'm pretty sure that's how I got The Secret Life of Bees.

I've spent the winter reading A peoples History of the US, by howard zinn. i used to read books at the rate of one a day, but since having a child, i'm lucky if i can get through a chapter a week.

i like to shop for books at half.com (and then donate them to the library).

Quote Originally Posted by pudding
    My library is pretty bad, too, and I rack up too much in overdue fees, plus I like being able to use books for my own nefarious purposes. (Plus my two-year-old likes to "read" my books and that path leads to destruction.) So I buy mine. The used bookstores around here are crap, so when I have money I usually head to Borders or go online (Amazon loves me, I'm sure). When I don't have money I generally order from qpb.com, I joined to get the almost-free books and stayed because they bill me, so I can get books and then the next payday I have where there aren't giant bills I can pay for them. (I especially love their 1/2 off sales.) I'm in this phase right now where I want new books, want to be the first to read the book. I hope it passes soon, because it's stupid and expensive.

I used to use half.com before they became part of ebay, I probly should use them again, you can get some good deals. Amazon's Marketplace (pretty much another version of half.com) isn't too bad, either.

The books I read and don't want usually head over to my best friend's house. Then they go to Goodwill. I'm not sure if my library accepts donations of books; I should look into that.

I donate books that don't get passed around the family to a local nursing home. My Grandma's friend is a resident there and Grandma simply delivers them. I also give the nursing home magazines I don't intend to keep or pass around. It makes me feel better about buying so many!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads