Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I seem to have gone into a reading overdrive this month- after hardly reading at all last year due to concentration problems, i've started this year with a bang! I can't remember right now which books I read, but amongst them have been:
    Post Office; Factotum; Women; Ham on Rye; New poems 1 and New poems 2 all by Charles Bukowski
    Nights at the Circus; Love; Wise Children and collected short stories all by Angela Carter
    Slaugherhouse 5, Timequake and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

(can you see a theme developing?)

The Bookseller of Kabul-Asne Seierstad
    Beyond Stitch and Bitch- knitting as a metaphor for life -Afi-Odelia Scruggs
    Blab 15
    Zines-Liz Farrelly
    Aprons- Icons of the American Home- Joyce Cheney
    Maus 1+2- Art Spiegelman
    Persepolis 1+2- Marjane Satrapi
    Get Crafty-Jean Railla
    What not to spend- Alvin Hall

I can't actually believe I read all those in one month- and I know I read more than that! I guess the fact I am off work and have a lot of catching up to do might account for some of it. Most of them are re-reads, I am trying to ration my book buying by limiting myself to library books or books I own already...it's tough because at this rate i'll run out of books by March!

2. # ADS

Hello, I'm new to the book threads, just thought I'd check it out!
    This January I read:

Chocolat
    Have to say (whilst hanging my head in shame) that I preferred the movie, not that the book wasn't excellent!

The Bad Beginning and The Reptile Room - Lemony Snickett
    Am I the only one who doesn't like these books? I got the first three for christmas and I can't even get into the third one. Maybe I like my books too fuzzy.

Bridget Jones
    I really liked this but then I was only looking for a bit of brain candy and it was nice and light

He's just not that into you
    still not sure how I feel about this one, has anyone else read it? come on own up!

That's it, must read more this year!!

I read a few good ones in January:

"The Dearly Departed" by Elinor Lipman (fiction)

"Other People's Dirt" by Louise Rafkin (non-fiction) - I wrote more about it in the one day reads thread

"The Pregnancy Book" by William and Martha Sears (great reference guide)

I finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell a couple weeks ago. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoilt Rotten
    The Bad Beginning and The Reptile Room - Lemony Snickett
    Am I the only one who doesn't like these books? I got the first three for christmas and I can't even get into the third one. Maybe I like my books too fuzzy.

He's just not that into you
    still not sure how I feel about this one, has anyone else read it? come on own up!
    I loved the first two Lemony Snicket books! I haven't started the third one just yet tho'. I don't know if you're the ONLY one who doesn't like them but you're probably one of a few. But, I must confess, I have never read the Harry Potter books, or seen the movies either. And I think I'm the last person on earth for that!

And I haven't read He's Just Not That Into You yet but it's on my list of holds at the library. Hopefully it will come in soon :)

Quote Originally Posted by KittenHasAWhip
    But, I must confess, I have never read the Harry Potter books, or seen the movies either. And I think I'm the last person on earth for that!
    I haven't seen the movies either -- you're not alone there! I did read the first book, though, but couldn't finish the second one. It seemed really derivative to me, but maybe I just didn't like the style.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    But, I must confess, I have never read the Harry Potter books, or seen the movies either. And I think I'm the last person on earth for that!
    I haven't seen the movies either -- you're not alone there! I did read the first book, though, but couldn't finish the second one. It seemed really derivative to me, but maybe I just didn't like the style.
    I don't think the harry potter books get that good until the third one. The books, as well as the characters, develop more personality.

And, God, I love Hermione Granger.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    A few of my friends at school are HUGE Harry Potter fans and can't believe I haven't seen or read any of it. They love it all. Now my boyfriend hasn't read the books, but he does insist that the movies are good and worth seeing. Everytime I say "I feel like watching a movie" his response is "There's always Harry Potter! You still haven't seen that." I don't know why I'm so opposed to seeing the movies tho'. And I did actually read a few pages of the first book while I was at work years ago but it didn't draw me in, and then I had to put it back and get back to work :P

I don't know. Maybe I'll read them...someday :)

The Harry Potter mentality really doesn't HIT until you actually watch the movie/read the books or just get into in general. My boyfriend and I both thought that HP was silly before we saw the movie/read the books, but now, we're HOOKED! It's really one of those things that you don't understand until you're in it.

As for books I've read, so far it's only been Wuthering Heights I've been busy with other things :)

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It's not a prequel to DaVinci Code, but it is an earlier book. I really liked it.

See How They Run and Cradle and All by James Patterson. I enjoy the Alex Cross series, so I just assumed I would like these two as well, and I was wrong.

A Superior Death by Nevada Barr. This was one of those books I started and wouldn't let myself not finish just in case the ending was worth it. It wasn't.

Kill and Tell by Linda Howard. I didn't like this one, either.

Gone For Good by Harlan Coben. Not bad.

Quilters Complete Guide by Fons and Porter. Great information.

I had a stack of books given to me by the lady upstairs and I wanted to make room on my shelves. That's why last month was filled with junk reading.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads