Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Pudding, your library should be able to get you an inter-library loan for anything they don't have. I work in a library in Adelaide, and our inter-library loan network gives our borrowers access to every library in South Australia.

I'm easing myself back into reading after uni (I've always loved books, but while I was at uni I just couldn't muster any energy or enthusiasm for actual reading), so I started with lots of YA books. I read:

- the first five books of the Tomorrow When the War Began series by John Marsden. I loved John Marsden when I was a kid. So Much to Tell You and The Great Gatenby were my comfort reads. But I hate this series. Not just because the premise annoys me (I initally thought it was an interesting idea, but then it just got stupid - the enemy is colonising Australia? And these kids are seventeen - how can they not have had any idea that they were about to go to war?), but because the punctuation is atrocious. The man will not use a comma. I constantly have to reread sentences and mentally insert the appropriate breaks to get the meaning. And he keeps writing shit like "Chris' stuff". "Chris' stuff"! Where is the other "s"? Don't people have editors anymore? And yet I'm a little bit hooked, so I'm going to see the series through to the end just to see how many of them survive.

- A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry. I love this book; it's beautiful. I always love Lois Lowry's characters (Anastasia Krupnik was one of my favourites as a kid) - they always have just the right amount of precociousness - and I just loved the atmosphere, the '70s-ness (not in a retro, kitschy way, but for its innocence, I guess, and the setting and the hippies and the academia). I also loved that even though it was ostensibly about Meg's sister dying, it wasn't about Meg's sister at all, really, but about Meg herself and how she changed that summer. I thought that was interesting, and real.

- The History and Topography of Ireland by Gerald of Wales. I picked this up from the For Sale table at the library just because "Gerald of Wales" (it's actually Giraldus Cambrensis or something, but it says Gerald of Wales on the cover) is the coolest author-name ever, but it was actually a really cool book. It was written in the twelfth century sometime, and he makes all these outlandish claims about the magical wilderness of Ireland ("Poisonous reptiles when brought here immediately die and poison loses its force") and just paints this brilliant picture of the sorts of things people could get away with saying in the Middle Ages. And it's kind of beautiful, even if he is full of crap.

- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. This was recommended on the boards over at Fametracker.com, so I borrowed it from the library. I skipped the first section because I got bored, but then I ended up quite liking the book as a whole. The ending was unsatisfying, though. I wanted something more substantial than a suggestion of how things were going to go - I felt, as a reader, that I'd earnt some sort of pay-off.

My aim was to read some more "serious" books this year (I'm taking a year off between third year university and Honours), but since I wasn't reading anything at all for a while there I think I'm doing okay. This month I've read another John Marsden book and I've just started The Trial by Franz Kafka (we studied it in Year 12, and even though it was a really interesting class I just couldn't make myself read it then - being assigned books always kills them for me). I like it.

2. # ADS

A Series of Unfortunate Events #4-#6, by Lemony Snicket
    quick reads that are cleverly written and very addicting

Moreta: Dragon Lady of Pern and Nerilka's Story, by Anne McCaffrey
    I started reading the Pern series back a few years ago and I've enjoyed every book I've read so far. I'm not into all Fantasy books but I think this whole series is wonderful

A Pirate Looks at Fifty by Jimmy Buffet
    I really enjoyed of this book (well most of it, I skipped over some of the detailed fishing stories) but even with the detailed fishing stories I'd still higly recommend it!!

Jimmy Carter's new book...I think it has something about "together" in the title
    also good and I really liked reading about how he and his wife met and how their relationship changed and grew over the years

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads