Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    I have more books than friends, but then, this is probably normal.
    Totally normal!

2. # ADS

what I do with my books:

Return them to the library

Return them to my BFF

Return them to my mom.

If, on very very rare occasions, I actually own the book I will either lend it out, give it to the Salvation Army or save it for future reading. Saving it depends on two things...is it a Douglas Adams book or was the book so very good that I know I will read it again.

When I lend a book out I actually don't expect it back. I allow the person to lend it further if they wish.

I mail them to my friend Chad in Maine (if I liked them). All his stuff is in storage anyway.

Or I return them to the library, since that's usually where I got them from in the first place.

i keep 99% of them. i love to read, but i also love books as objects. the ones i didn't care about i sold on half.com to clear up some space...for more books of course!

The woman who lives upstairs from me gives me her books and magazines and if I particularly like one, I'll keep it or lend it to my father, who doesn't ever get rid of books. The ones I don't like or don't feel the need to keep get passed on to this church nearby that hosts bazaars every other week. I will admit that I have many books that I haven't even read and just kept because they are old and the outsides look great on my bookshelves.

I have one question - I have several old college textbooks (from 1997 and 1998) that I am sure no one is going to want and aren't really age appropriate to donate to schools or anything. Is it wrong to toss these in the trash?

Somebody might want them for the illustrations. You never know.

I'd say, find out if the local library has a fundraiser book sale, then donate them. Even if it means the library can make 50 cents you've done some good.

or you can donate them to Goodwill, Salvation Army, what have you. you might be surprised at what some people will buy. (I know I love finding textbooks in thrift stores and used bookstores--but I escaped college early and am probly trying to make up for my lack of structured higher education somehow.)

woohoo, my first-ever Guest post! guess my log-in timed out.

Tinstar
    I usually keep all my books. I have only given a few of them away. I don't like to part with them normally. I once read somewhere on the web about reading a book and then leaving it on a bus bench, laundromat, wherever, for the next person to pick up and read and hoipefully they would pass it along themselves. You could even order little labels to put on them that said "pass me around." I wish I could remember where I saw it so I could tell you. I think it's a neat idea myself. Anyone else?

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar
    I once read somewhere on the web about reading a book and then leaving it on a bus bench, laundromat, wherever, for the next person to pick up and read and hoipefully they would pass it along themselves. You could even order little labels to put on them that said "pass me around." I wish I could remember where I saw it so I could tell you.
    You're thinking of BookCrossing. I've never actually done it myself, but I received a book with a BookCrossing label in it as part of an online swap a couple years ago.

I wasn't fond of the book and never finished reading it, and I left that particular online community not long after that. I still know right where the book is, sitting in my closet in a box of junk I never unpacked from our last move. I suppose I should at least get it out and leave it on a bus bench or something, so someone can get some use out of it.

I do think BookCrossing is a great idea!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads