Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what do you do with books after you read them?

Our local library has a book sale twice a year.People can donate books,magazines, & cd's for the library to either sale or use on the shelf.
    Recycling books is one of the easiest things to do.

2. # ADS

If I plan to reread a book or if it affected me deeply I'll keep it. Usually I recycle them.

I like to find a good person to pass a book on to, someone that will enjoy it as much as I did. If I can't find a good match, I'll just donate it to the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    If I plan to reread a book or if it affected me deeply I'll keep it. Usually I recycle them.

I like to find a good person to pass a book on to, someone that will enjoy it as much as I did. If I can't find a good match, I'll just donate it to the library.
    That was me again. I keep accidently logging off. ahahaha

Like twilight, if I liked a book I keep it because I'll re-read it at some point. I also like having a personal library of all the books which mean something to me!

Right now I've just made a collection of books I personally found to be "duds" - ones I didn't like or know I won't want again. I'm going to take them to the local 2nd hand bookshop, which offers credit towards future purchases.

So I guess I collect or recycle.

My husband feels particularly strongly that it's wrong to throw books away - he was particularly anxious when I was making my collection of duds and hovered about, making me reassure him that I would sell or donate the books or give them to friends.

Most of the books I read now are, in some way, related to my grad school work or the field in which I want to be a professor anyway (even the books I read for pleasure), so I usually keep 'em. You should see my living room ... it's like wall to wall books.

On those rare occasions when I don't keep them, I sell them on Amazon.com or donate them.

I don't know what to do with my books.

When I get my books for my classes, I have no qualms about highlighting passages, and then I think, "Oh, hell, my bookstore is going to rip me off even worse if I try to sell this back like this, I BET."

So I think, "Well, you know, I'll probably want to have a book that addresses the policing of our nation ten years from now."

If someone should need my books for that particular class, I think I might sell directly to them, but other than that, I'm keeping college books.

And, well, I always keep books, really, unless I do not plan on reading them. Even then, I might keep them in CASE I might read them.

So, I'm screwed. I have more books than friends, but then, this is probably normal.

If I love them or will use them for resources, I keep, em. Otherwise, I regift or recycle. I live in a college town, so I leave some in the coffee shops for others.

i keep most of them. there's a local used book store that offers credit for whatever you bring in.

We did a serious purge of our books about four years ago. We have seven bookcases and they used to be double rows, now they are single rows with space for nick nacks on the ends.

I keep everything to do with my field (I'm a graduate student) and if I am assigned a book that I know I won't need again (like in a related field) I try to take it out of the library so I'm not tempted to keep it. I keep all my syllabi, so if I need it again I can look it up.

I go through my books every couple of weeks and try to get rid of a few (in general I have a zero sum rule with books - if I get a new one I have to get rid of an old one or get rid of the new one as soon as I'm done with it).

I have three archive boxes full of books listed on Half.com. I've made over 500 dollars in the past two years, so I'm in rush to bring them down to the thrift store unless they are cheap paperbacks.

To make a long story short, it's a constant battle!

Before we moved last March, I had to purge my collection because we had to put them all in storage (we had to stay in my parents' basement for a while) and had no space. That was sad, I hate getting rid of books. It's okay, though, I've more than made up for it now, a year later. (And I just got two boxes of fiction, my comics, and my cookbooks out today -- woot!, etc.)

After I read books, I put them in a box and every few months I give the box to my best friend to read through. She keeps the ones she wants (if she keeps one of the ones I really love I'll put it on a list to find on sale later) and gives back the ones she doesn't. I haven't actually gotten any back yet (we've only done this twice so far), but when I do, the ones I don't want (e.g. mostly the ones I couldn't finish) will either go to the library (if they'll take them) or Goodwill. The used bookstore I use here gives good credit, but it's pretty expensive, and I can never find what I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads