Thread: Walden/Thoreau

Lauren1

Walden/Thoreau

I just started reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau, and already I think its the best book I've ever read. Every sentence is just Wow! I never thought of that!...

any comments on this book or Thoreau in general? I think it would help the world if every person alive read this book (and Ishmael by Daniel Quinn)

2. # ADS

I enjoyed that bood very much until the end, to me, it started to get boring. Their is many passages underlined in that book. I need to start putting them up on my fridge once a week. "Simplify, Simplify, Simplify"

I really enjoyed it, but it did get kind of long.

I also liked the star-studded book, organized by Don Henley about saving Walden Woods. It was awesome.

I have never finished the book but, I do pick it up and read a bit whenever I need a little bit of genius. And, stragely enough, I consider him one of my very favorite writers (and thinkers). You are right, Lauren1, his insight is incredible. I find myself stopping a lot to absorb something he said....just one sentence. I find many transcendentalists to be brilliant and inspiring. I especially like that Thoreau was known to be so vocal and uncompromising in his views that he drove people nuts. He alienated himself from some but, really endeared himself to others with his conviction. He also mostly thought there was a lot more to admire in a pond than a man...I sometimes agree.

Remove Ads

Ads