Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you write?

Do you write?

Not just blogs or journals, but poetry? Short stories? Books? Plays? etc?

I've never written more than poetry or my journal, but my Crafty Gal Pals are encouraging me to write short stories. Any advice?

2. # ADS

i've written 2 books with two in progress. I have a childrens book that got published but didn't go past local bookstores and libraries and I have another book that never got sent off. I have two different ideas I'm working on now. If you're interested in writing I have two sites you might be interested in.

http://www.fanfic.com
    http://www.fictionpress.com

Fanfic is more for your stories about your favorite bands, book characters, etc...

FictionPress is for everything.

I DO! I DO!!

I think your sense of humor (from what I can tell) would be a great asset to short stories.

Simple advice for short stories:
    Don't rely on stock characters.
    Be honest, but you can be hyperbolic.
    Be aware of language.
    Read a lot of short stories!! Of different varieties. Pick up an anthology of short stories and read the hell out of them.

And keep trying and trying and trying.

I used to write constantly, and I stopped in high school. I really, really wish I hadn't because I would love to start again and I just am not sure I have it in me anymore.

The only way to find out if it is in you, is of course to try to get it out. I started writing after years & years of nonwriting & I found there were new things just waiting to get out.

Libby
    My best suggestion is to join/start a writing group in your hometown. It doesn't have to be formal, just gather once a week to read and talk about each other's stuff.

Good luck!

Blessed Be,
    PrettyPettyThief
    http://keepitcoming.net/lazarus-bloom.html

I'm a writer, too. My current project is ghostwriting for a self-publisher. I just got the galleys for my first book today. It's so exciting. I'm a little nervous for it to be over, since I don't have anything else lined up.

I'm pretty new to the writing scene. Does anyone have advice for submitting work for publication, agents, etc?

I just finished writing my book tonight! so I'm dying to hear about submitting for publication too!

Congrats Bacontogo & Revafisheye!! I am so impressed, and so jealous. You must feel so proud.

I have been telling myself for years that I will write a novel, but nothing yet. I'm participating in the fiction workshops over at chicklit.com. They give you three words, and you write a short story around those words. It seems a little more doable to me than NaNoWriMo. This year was my second year at NaNoWriMo, and I managed to hack out a title. This year, I'm determined to start my planning ahead of time. That's what killed me last time -- too much research, not enough writing: the story of my life. I've set up a page on my website that will hopefully inspire me to write a bit more. We'll see.

Good luck to everyone!

Revafisheye and Bacontogo, congratulations on your work! Any publication dates? Trageted audience? Subject matter? How disciplined are you re: writing schedules(ie: do you write a set number of pages, hours, etc. per day)?

I have a friend who writes romance novels and her husband writes what he feels are "children's stories".....more like Young Adult or angsty Adult Retropsectives. Neither has been published. She has come close with a lesserknown Romance publisher, but the contract was essentially for indentured servitude, for like 10yrs?? And no control over her work. Her spouse is currently working on a biography of a rather obscure Englishman...so obscure I couldn't tell you who the subject is......Me thinks it's a wonderful rouse for several summers in UK "researching."

I think, for me, the best is to write semi-autobiographical short stories. I've had some interesting experiences, but not certain I'm ready to pull them into a coherent "theme" for anything as ambitious as a book!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads