Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: sci-fi/fantasy

I just read the Illuminatus! Trilogy, which I guess is classified under Sci-Fi (sometimes) but is more of a crazy conspiracy book. Holy crap, it was amazing. Almost too much for my brain to handle! After reading that, you can hardly go a day without reading/seeing/hearing a reference to the Illuminati.

2. # ADS

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen R. Donaldson. Two trilogies! Begin with Lord Foul's Bane. Warning: One can easily become impatient with our anti-hero Thomas Covenant, because he generally does not follow the course of action we would have him take. Still and all, a seducing read.

I have much love for Larry Niven's work. The Ringworld series is good, but his collections of short stories are my absolute favorites. His stuff is pretty hard sci-fi - there's a lot of math, physics, and astronomy - which I like, because I come away from his writing feeling that I've learned something. I also like the Man-Kzin Wars series; the stories are written by other authors, but they're based on Larry Niven's creations. He's also written some fantasy novels, but last time I checked, most were out of print.

There's a series of Russian sci-fi/fantasy/horror novels that will be available in English in July of this year; the first in the series is Night Watch, which has been adapted as a movie (coming out this month! Yay!) From what I know of it, the series seems more fantasy than sci-fi - vampires and such - but I've also seen it classified as sci-fi. I can't wait for the novels to come out in English.[/i]

I love Ender's Game!!! That whole series is fabulous. For fantasy i enjoy Sharon Shinn a lot.

I don't understand why people are so against Sci-Fi/Fantasy!!

Right now (in my opinion) lots of the popular culture sucks ass! Between Brittany Spears and Reality TV, anything even remotely creative is marginalized. TV producers wonder why shows like "LOST" have been such hits, and it's because we're tired of seeing people act like jack-asses on TV to attain their 5 min of fame.

I love sci-fi, and don't read as much of it as I'd like too.

Never be ashamed to like something that isn't considered popular. It seems to me that the same people who diss (sp?) Sci-Fi are the people who've never had an original idea or opinion in their life. They like the celebrities that Entertainment Tonight tells them to like, watch the movies with the highest marketing budgets, and read.....well lets face it, most of them probably can't or don't.

Wow. Sorry for the rant. Didn't realize I was that pissed.

As for the authors I have read;

Isaac Asimov "Robot" series and "Foundation" novels

I love Clive Barker and am totally into the Abarat series (I know they're kids books, but the stories are sooo imaginative!)

Looking forward to starting Ender's series soon.

I've been into readings by the Dalai Lama lately and am also reading a poli-sci/women's studies book called 'Women in Zones of Conflict' by Tami Amanda Jacoby.

I don't understand why people are so against Sci-Fi/Fantasy!!

Right now (in my opinion) lots of the popular culture sucks ass! Between Brittany Spears and Reality TV, anything even remotely creative is marginalized. TV producers wonder why shows like "LOST" have been such hits, and it's because we're tired of seeing people act like jack-asses on TV to attain their 5 min of fame.

I love sci-fi, and don't read as much of it as I'd like too.

Never be ashamed to like something that isn't considered popular. It seems to me that the same people who diss (sp?) Sci-Fi are the people who've never had an original idea or opinion in their life. They like the celebrities that Entertainment Tonight tells them to like, watch the movies with the highest marketing budgets, and read.....well lets face it, most of them probably can't or don't.

Wow. Sorry for the rant. Didn't realize I was that pissed.

As for the authors I have read;

Isaac Asimov "Robot" series and "Foundation" novels

I love Clive Barker and am totally into the Abarat series (I know they're kids books, but the stories are sooo imaginative!)

Looking forward to starting Ender's series soon.

I've been into readings by the Dalai Lama lately and am also reading a poli-sci/women's studies book called 'Women in Zones of Conflict' by Tami Amanda Jacoby.

Mmmm, since my last post here I've re-discovered Olivia Butler. She died a few weeks ago and I heard a previously recorded interview with Terri Gross on NPR. She was (as far as anybody knows) the first black woman to publish sci-fi. I just finished a book of her short stories. She wrote Parable of the Sower, Kindred, maybe half a dozen others. Highly recommended.

LiP Magazine did an interview with Octavia Butler (available in PDF format here.) I've never read any of her books, but I did look her up last time I was at the library. Sadly, they didn't have anything. I'll have to check out the bookstore, I guess. From what I read in the article, her work sounds fascinating and very different from anything I've read before.

Kindred is amazing. Powerful and pulls-no-punches. I would strongly suggest hunting it down.

I read The Wheel of Time series (fantasy) by Robert Jordan. once you get past the first three chapters of the first book "The Eye of the World" you're hooked, no matter how many times Jordan lets you down, no matter how many times you read over the same cliqued line.... -sigh-

i wish he'd just finish already so i could be free!

-warning- there are currently eleven BIG books, with at least one more (two perhaps) plus a few prequels left to go; so get ready to invest time in it. :)

Stanger in a Strange land is great, but i'm not exactly sure that wouldn't be considered a political book as opposed to sci fi.

but yes Neil Geiman and Terry Pratchett are absolutely BRILLIANT (especially if you love the cheeky british side of things)

and as always; go for H.P. Lovecraft. SOOO GOOD.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads