Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sci-fi/fantasy

sci-fi/fantasy

sometimes i seriously feel like such a dork when i admit to reading sci-fi/fantasy novels *blush*
    stereotypically, it's the techie computer geek guy who's raving about them
    recently a friend has been lending me books of this genre, and i adore them
    i sincerely reccomend the piers anthony "incarnation series" (7 books in all, the first is "on a pale horse")
    i've also enjoyed the dune series
    and my favourite of all time, which they are currently making into a movie (for the second time), is the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series :swoon:
    those are just a few books i would recommend (all of which i have read at least twice)
    if anyone would like to suggest a few titles to me, i'd love that
    i read at least 2-3 books a week and am always starved for new material
    thanks!

2. # ADS

i started a fantasy thread awhile back you might like to take a gander at!

how do you feel about neil stephenson (sp?)-- he's one whose books i pick up and then for whatever reason dont' end up buying...

Quote Originally Posted by belleepoque
    i started a fantasy thread awhile back you might like to take a gander at!

how do you feel about neil stephenson (sp?)-- he's one whose books i pick up and then for whatever reason dont' end up buying...
    i saw the thread after i posted this *blush*
    you did list david eddings, so i'll trust your taste in books
    what has neil stephenson written?

as i mentioned, i have just gotten interested in this genre
    thanks!

stephenson's series "the baroque cycle" seems to be getting mainstream praise, and other sci-fi peeps have said they liked it. it seems to have lots of brains, i just wonder if it has much heart...

on that fantasy thread someone recommended Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, which I also thought was BRILLIANT, and also critically acclaimed by mainstream media-- I'd also highly recommend that!

i haven't read any piers anthony, so i'll have to give it a shot.

Never be embarrassed about reading. And especially not about scifi. Personally, I like the hard stuff with space ships and time travel, but will read anything interesting or weird. A couple of my favorite authors are C J Cherryh and Orson Scott Card. But the old guys like Haldeman and Heinlein are great reads too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Ender's Game" or the series for that matter by Orsen Scott Card. I never thought i'd like scifi but i totally love the Enders series!

I love sci fi and fantasy. In fact, this year I've been trying to catch up on classics because my grad school reading has referenced a bunch. Right now I'm listening to Asimov's Foundation and I have Ender's Game on my queue at the library.

I have to say, as far as fantasy goes, I just finished Eragon and hated it!

As far as recommendations go, whenever I need a new science fiction book I look at the Hugo and Nebula awards.

Sci fi is not just for geeky boys anymore!

I've been reading Sci fi since a very early age. I was introduced to the genere by my mother. I had no idea that the sci-fi was suposed to be geared toward teenage boys until I was well out of college. My friend Melissa and I always exchange books. She will only read Sci fi. I certainly would be more embarassed to be known to read romance novels exclusively and yet our society seems to more readily accept this from women. Enough of the politics though.

My all time favorite book is "Door Into Ocean" by Joan Slonczewski (a name I have a very hard time rembering or spelling). I also like the authors Octavia Butler, Joan D. Vinge (especially the Snow Queen series), Ursala K. LeGuin, and the male authors Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., and the darker writers Harlan Ellison, and Aldous Huxley.

My taste for sci fi usually leans toward books that show a socialogical change or how societies adapt to changes around them. "Shadow Man" by Melissa Scott is good example of this.

I hope you feel a little less embarrased. I have none. Sci fi RULES!
    I should behave closer to my 38 years.

i have a huge crush on Neal Stephenson, but i don't really consider his books sci fi or fantasy. i guess Diamond Age is a little sci fi-ish, but somehow it's more steampunk set in the future.

the Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon are historical fiction with lots of scientific information and references.

I read more science fiction than any other genre (fantasy is second). My dad got me hooked on SF movies when I was three- when Star Wars came out, and he got me addicted to SF books when I was 10 with Arthur C. Clarke's Odyssey series (2001, etc.).

My favorite authors include Clive Barker, Lois McMaster Bujold, Catherine Asaro, Jane S. Fancher, Sheri S. Tepper, Joan D. Vinge, Ursula K. Le Guin, Karen Traviss, Lyda Morehouse, Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley, Sharon Shinn, James Patrick Kelly, Arthur C. Clarke, J. R. R. Tolkien, Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, Octavia E. Butler, Julie E. Czerneda, and Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads