Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What did you read in February 2005?

Let's keep it up!

Sadly I went way down from my January high of 9, to just three in February:

The Origins of American Social Science by Dorothy Ross - Encylcopedic text on Social Science and its relationship to the idea of American Exceptionalism.

Our Band Could be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad - Great book for anyone, especially if you remember bands like Minor Threat or love Sonic Youth as much as I do.

Victorian Anthropology by George Stocking - Traces continuity between pre-Darwinian ethnology and post-Darwinian cultural anthropology.

Next month should be better, I have at least three books that I'm halfway through already :)

2. # ADS

I think this thread is a fantastic idea precisely because when I come to tally up how many books I've read over the last month I see just how little I actually do read (although I plough through tonnes of magazines). It encourages me to make a commitment to try harder because I want to be "a reader". :-)

I read 2 books this month (and OK, I'm yet to finish both):

Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey
    Manifesta by Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards (which was suggested to me by the women of getcrafty)

I was hoping to read Woman Hollering Creek and join in with the read-along but it proved too tricky to track down. My local library has a copy of The House On Mango Street, also by Sandra Cisneros so I think I will give that a try for March.

Also, I think that I will find a copy of Cloudstreet by Tim Winton because it is meant to be the "great" Australian novel and I like Tim Winton's children's books. I also like his politics and taste in music so that can't hurt either!

I just had another thought -

Next month should be better, I have at least three books that I'm halfway through already :)
    Maybe I shouldn't count unfinished books! But then my monthly total will be 0! Oh no! :-)

I don't count the books I read for class, only my pleasure reading.

Princess in Pink, by Meg Cabot. Yep, that's a Princess Diaries book. Oh, YA literature, how I love you.

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, by David Sedaris.

Okay, I finished this book right now, just after 1 AM, so it's technically March. But I haven't gone to bed yet, so I'm still counting it as a February read. We Are All the Same by Jim Wooten. It was beautiful.

March should go better; I always read a lot over spring break.

Goethe's Faust
    Minna von Barnhelm by Gotthold Lessing

Herland by Charlotte Perkins-Gilman
    Cruddy by Lynda Barry

Cruddy was the only one I read for pleasure, although I enjoyed them all.

I'm also up to my neck in texts for my women's studies classes, but I'm not finished with them yet.

wow. I feel ever so slightly ashamed to admit to only one and a half (and I started the first one in January so that doesn't really count)...

anyway, my almost-February reading was:

Tender is the Night, Fitzgerald
    and
    Confessions of an English Opium Eater, De Quincey

Loved the start of Tender is the Night - not read any Fitzgerald before and just liked his writing. but then the story went a bit off (I thought) and I finished it a little bit disenamoured (is there such a word?...)

De Quincey I am LOVING. Meant to read it last year for a master's essay on 18th-19th century theories on dreams, and never got round to it. Thought it might be a bit hard going, but it's amazing. I don't know if it's just because it's 300 years old, or because of De Quincey's writing, but the way in which some words are used makes their meaning more clear and deep to me. sometimes words are made so beautiful or different by their context, that it just makes me smile and/or shiver. I like the language...

but also, it's a really involving story so far and I'm SO with De Quincey - sleeping in the woods and empathising with the cows, troubled by depression and insomnia and exorbitant lawyers, abandoning school, bitching about Coleridge, this idea of the whispering gallery and fatalistic actions....

haven't got to the opium bits yet, but so far so good.

anyway, that's me.

soapandwater - never read Herland, but read The Yellow Wallpaper by CPG in the library one day and thought it was brilliant.

and what a cool little library would be made of all the getcrafty february books so far...

Life, the Universe and Everything-Douglas Adams
    Mostly Harmless-Douglas Adams (it makes me so happy)

Naked-David Sedaris- This was my first dive into David Sedaris and I liked it.

Survivor-Chuck Palahniuk-I will definitely be reading more of his work.

I have not had time to go to the library this month (which is really bad for my overdue fees) My book count could have been higher because I went at least two weeks (not straight) with out reading.

I am going to a friends house this weekend and i will raid his book shelf.

I feel so lonely with out books. This morning I read a Gerber pamphlet...

(oops. the guest was me. damn computer)

i love to hear what the craftistas are reading! i will have to get my hands on the de quincey. I have wanted to read it ever since Nick Tosches Vanity Fair article about opium...

I read a big old pile of trashy books when on vacation, and you probably don't want to hear about The Key of valor by Nora Roberts or Chasing the Dime by Michael Connolly, or even Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination (better than everyone said, although of course not bridget), perhaps Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn, which was excellent for those who like fantasy novels...

the single literary book I read was Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd.

I think that Any Human Heart is his masterwork, but Brazzaville Beach was good-- fascinating, disturbing well-written but QUITE depressing (sometimes I think they should switch out "literary" for "depressing").

Mama Makes Up Her Mind and Other Dangers of Southern Living by Bailey White

It was very cute! I like to alternate light and heavy. And it only took me a few days, but I'll be darned if I can remember what I finished before that. I guess it couldn't have been too good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads