Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm amazed at the number of you who subscribe to Real Simple, which I call "Really Buy More Stuff - it's the American Way".

For fiber arts, I like Threads, Belle Armoire and 1 more that my brain is dying on right now.

I try Vogue from time to time to see if it has changed to show wow fashion that real folks can buy or copy/change -- but hasn't happened yet.

I think that things like Glamour, Allure, and similar rags get women on the "I've gotta look like this" bandwagon. Dont' read 'em.

bunz

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by bunzino
    I'm amazed at the number of you who subscribe to Real Simple, which I call "Really Buy More Stuff - it's the American Way"

bunz
    That's funny Bunzino. True though. We Americans love our Stuff.

Bellepoque, you're not alone. I like the Star's Best/Worst Dressed people rag. It cracks me up.

I haven't heard of a lot of these mags you guys get. Like that Backwoods one. and some others. I buy books and mags and Hastings. We don't have a Borders or other bookstore around here.
    I liked Allure when it first came out because it was more beauty with brains but then it went downhill an dbecause like all the other beauty mags.

I don't read Cosmo because it insults my intelligence. "How to Have an Affair" is one that comes to mind.

I do read Jane which doesn't seem to be too popular with the other Craftistas and Glitter people and I can see why. I take Jane with a grain of salt. I do like their layout though.

I agree Tinstarmerchant-- Cosmo is so insulting it is almost comic. And poor Jane, now at the discount price of $1.99!

I was a Sassy devotee in junior high/high school, although never as hip as I felt i should have been reading it. Jane makes me feel nostalgic...

Here's what I get:

*Utne Reader (can't live without!)
    *MS Kids
    *Everyday Food
    *Real Simple
    *Budget Living (not loving too much anymore, will probably let mu sub run out)
    *American Baby (it's free)
    *Family Fun (free again)
    *Psychology Today (another free sub)

Used to get Yankee magazine and I miss it but I sometimes read it at the library.

I let my MS Living sub run out and I'm torn whether to renew. I have a love/hate relationship with that magazine.

Here's what we get:

Ladybug - my son
    Dirt Rag - my husband (biking magazine in case your mind went elsewhere)
    Family Fun - I like it because it focuses on art projects and ideas rather that being stuffed with articles that feed fear.
    Dwell - my husband and I share this one
    Ready Made - I still remember the moment I found it at Tower Records, very exciting.
    Heb - we don't subscribe but I buy it when I see it
    MS Kids - same as above

I'm still missing Might which was a kick butt magazine, anyone remember that one?

I've been known to peruse such social journals as Us Weekly and Star and I know I'm not alone here ladies.

In no particular order, I subscribe to:
    Giant Robot (to get my Asian pop art/music/entertainment fix)
    ReadyMade (from my Sampler subscription)
    Utne Reader
    Fiberarts (Just subscribed!)
    WIRED (my bf gets it)

Sometimes I read:
    BUST
    The Economist
    Organic Style
    Mother Jones

In the office kitchen: (There are lots of women in my office and they bring in all those guilty pleasure zines that they buy for plane trips)
    Allure, Lucky, Us, Entertainment Weekly, Cosmo, etc.

Since my kids have sold magazine subscriptions for a school fundraiser for the past, oh, 8 years, we've run the gamut of mags in this house. Some of the better ones....

Bead and Button
    Mary Engelbreit's something, something - very kitschy but good fun
    Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Yankee
    Adirondack Life
    Classroom (not published anymore)
    Smithsonian (appeals to the geek in me!)
    Organic Gardening

Just an aside....sometimes people assume that my nic - cosmosgrrl - is a reference to that glad rag of a mag...but tis not. It is a ref to my sweetie of 20 years, whose name happens to be Cosmo, and since I'm his "girl" but not his GIRL, hence the name "cosmosgrrl."

The only magazine I buy regularly is Mojo, although I admit I flick through Who magazine (our version of People) at the newsagent's every week to see who's died or gotten married or had babies. I don't buy them though, so it's okay... right?

I can never find any decent craft magazines, but it's possible I'm not looking in the right places. I read Grassroots ("Australia's Most Popular Self-Sufficiency Magazine") at work, and sometimes that has some cool craft stuff. It taught me how to tie-dye.

I occasionally buy Bitch because I want to like it, but mostly I find it a bit too American - a lot of the pop culture references and so on don't mean anything to me.

i love nylon for the fashion. they really should stick to that though, and get rid of all the bad music articles and reviews they've been writing lately.

i also like to check out vegetarian times, budget living, real simple, art news, and sometimes the new yorker from the library. and venus seems really great too, but of course the library doesn't subscribe and i can rarely find it at bookstores.

Utne seems to be well liked here. I used to subscribe. Maybe I should start again. Sometimes I'll read Rolling Stone but only for the big monthly story. I don't give a hoot about the music part. Same with Spin. Oh and I read Prevention too.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads