Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For our English class, we had to get this anthology of stories called "The Yellow Wallpaper". It's a collection of short stories by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and I love them all.

2. # ADS

The short novel "Herstory" (I think?) by Gilman is really interesting too. About an island of all women.

I never cared for Toni Morrison. I always felt like we had to read her books because she could count for a double underrepresentation, as much as I know she's been critically acclaimed and everything. Maybe I need to read them again now that I'm not quite such a jaded teenager though.

Eva Figes is a feminist author...not all her books are great though, but I loved The Knot.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    who wrote Rubyfruit Jungle? that's kind of a lesbian/feminist classic. i guess it's not fiction, though.
    Rita Mae Brown. I remember I read Venus Envy by her, which I liked well enough, but it was kind of pulp-novel-y at the same time. She may have been going for that effect deliberately though ... I kind of got the sense she was, but then wasn't sure and never bothered to read anything else in order to decide. How was Rubyfruit Jungle?

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness
    For our English class, we had to get this anthology of stories called "The Yellow Wallpaper". It's a collection of short stories by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and I love them all.
    Oooh, love Charlotte Perkins Gilman.

i really adored foxfire (now i'm blanking out and forgetting the author's name... she's quite well known). maybe it's not feminist enough for most ladies, but i really felt quite riled up when reading that book. the movie was such a poor representation of the novel... i could hardly stand it!

Quote Originally Posted by leCandypopRock
    i really adored foxfire (now i'm blanking out and forgetting the author's name... she's quite well known). maybe it's not feminist enough for most ladies, but i really felt quite riled up when reading that book. the movie was such a poor representation of the novel... i could hardly stand it!
    joyce carol oates? i think it's come back to me very quickly!

Eh, I'm too lazy to login, but!

I ADORE Foxfire. Yes, it's Joyce Carol Oates. I also liked her book based on Marilyn Monroe, Blonde.

The movie was terrible. I, however, own it because someone gave it to me. The only thing I like about the movie is when Mattie climbs to the top of the bridge, Kristin Hersh plays in the background, and that's just the music dork in me getting excited. Oh, and it has the girl from Rilo Kiley in it. More music dorkiness.

Like, the fact that they made Angelina Jolie a sexy voluptuous dark-haired Legs is just so...wrong.

Oh, man.
    I wish I could think of more feminist fiction.

I'm going to go ahead and put down Flannery O'Connor just for the way she tackled race back in the day. Soooo intelligent. I have such a lit crush on Flannery O'Connor.

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    Eh, I'm too lazy to login, but!

I ADORE Foxfire. Yes, it's Joyce Carol Oates. I also liked her book based on Marilyn Monroe, Blonde.

The movie was terrible. I, however, own it because someone gave it to me. The only thing I like about the movie is when Mattie climbs to the top of the bridge, Kristin Hersh plays in the background, and that's just the music dork in me getting excited. Oh, and it has the girl from Rilo Kiley in it. More music dorkiness.

Like, the fact that they made Angelina Jolie a sexy voluptuous dark-haired Legs is just so...wrong.

Oh, man.
    I wish I could think of more feminist fiction.

I'm going to go ahead and put down Flannery O'Connor just for the way she tackled race back in the day. Soooo intelligent. I have such a lit crush on Flannery O'Connor.
    oh, was the rilo kiley lady the one who played violet? so strange! i reallly realllly don't like rilo kiley, but i love kristin hersh and i think that was probably my favorite part of the movie, too. i also got blonde at a thrift store for $1 and i'm looking forward to reading that too. joyce just has soooo many books, i don't know where to start. and if it weren't for the movie, i probably would've never read the book, and i'm glad i did. the book is so much more revolutionary and poignant than the film by far. the film seemed more about fighting against individuals where there was so much talk about womankind in general trying to bring justice to this world anyway they could. i fell in love with the novel! i hope some people reading this forum will try to read it if they haven't already.

and flannery o'connor is awesome, too. she's from my home state. i adore her.

oops, i forgot to login!

I find that I don't like Joyce Carol Oates outside of short stories and Foxfire and Blonde. SO good, though. Honestly.

The girl who is in Rilo Kiley plays the redhead in the movie, you know, the "fat" one. (Sidenote: is anyone else tired of seeing slightly plump girls get "fat girl" roles and then be forced to date heinous looking guys in the movies?)

My grandmother was trying to tell me that Flannery O'Connor is an Alabamian, but I said, "No, I swear it's Georgia." Thanks for clarifying that, although I'm sure it's fairly interchangeable.

Hmm, need.more.writers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads