Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

bookies

I recommend 'The Red Tent' by Anita Diamant and 'Poisonwood Bible' Barbara Kingsolver. Change your life...

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by paola sangio
    i never read anything by margaret atwood - any suggestion on where to start? (i'd love to get an audio book so i can knit while listening. )thanks, paola
    As everyone already recommended, A Handmaid's Tale, but I just wanted to add that I listened to it on tape and it was done really well. I always have an audio book on hand, for crafting and commuting :)

Sheri Tepper writes smart feminist "fantasy" I guess you would call it, novels. I enjoyed The Gate to Women's Country esp.

I just read Eudora Welty's The Golden Apples a few weeks ago, it's amazing... a collection of short stories that kind of coheres into a novel? I really recommend it -- especially the last story, "The Wanderers," and a story in the middle, "Moon Lake."

Leslie Marmon Silko is a great female Native American writer. I suggest "Almanac of the Dead".. There is also this book I read years ago called "Daughter of Copper Woman" another great book.

I second The Red Tent, my mother made me read it right after she did so she had someone to talk about it with. Awesome book.

Do comic books count? I'm reading a series right now called Y: The Last Man, which is about a plague that leaves everything and everyone with a y chromosome dead save for a man and his monkey, leaving womankind to fix things. The series is just past the halfway mark, it's gotten pretty interesting.

I just read a book called American Woman by Susan Choi that has feminist leadings (there's even a part where the characters start having feminist group meetings in the 70s). Mostly, though, it's a fast-paced novel that takes a critical look at how being radical idealists can backfire and the contradictions within activism, especially extreme activism. It was neat.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads