Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Feminist Fiction

On Researchasaurus's thread about Ms. Magazine's must-read books, Soapandwater wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    Frankly, I want to read feminist fiction, but the only kinds my women's studies classes recommend are really poorly written ones that are great women's studies pieces (Stone Butch Blues made me wince).
    I thought the issue was deserving of its very own thread: There are some fiction suggestions on Pudding's Feminism thread, but I believe fiction is important enough to get its own thread.

So, Craftistas, tell us about your favorite feminist fiction!

A few suggestions (I'm sure I'll have more later) include the following:

Margaret Atwood (of course)
    Sandra Cisneros (of course)
    Alice Walker (of course)
    Toni Morrison (of course)
    Ana Castillo (of course)

Gioconda Belli -- A Nicaraguan Sandinista fighter, she wrote autobiographical fiction and a memoir about her involvement with the movement. Her best novel is La mujer habitada/The Inhabited Woman, which is available in English, and I believe her memoir El pais bajo mi piel/The Country Under My Skin was also translated.

Julia Alvarez -- Most famous for How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, she also wrote In the Time of the Butterflies, an account of four sisters who worked in the resistance to the Trujillo dictatorship in the Dominican Republic, and In the Name of Salome, a biographical novel about the Dominican Republic's national poet.

2. # ADS

This is an excellent idea for a thread.

I'm going to make it my goal to read all of Sandra Cisneros' work, having just finished Woman Hollering Creek.

This thread is helpful because it highlights books I've seen at shops but didn't know had a feminist perspective.

Thanks, Xuli!

Who is Ana Castillo? I've heard of her, but I've never REALLY heard of her in the "of course it's feminist fiction!" sense. I'd better go google.

Re: Feminist Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    Julia Alvarez -- Most famous for How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, she also wrote In the Time of the Butterflies, an account of four sisters who worked in the resistance to the Trujillo dictatorship in the Dominican Republic, and In the Name of Salome, a biographical novel about the Dominican Republic's national poet.
    I heart In the Time of the Butterflies. It's so sad and beautiful. I also like Amy Tan, particularly The Joy Luck Club. And to get old school, there's always Kate Chopin's The Awakening and Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, which are just freaking brilliant.

Alison

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedali
    And to get old school, there's always Kate Chopin's The Awakening and Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, which are just freaking brilliant.
    Oh, and Jane Austen (duh). I'm sure I'm going to be coming up with more authors for days now ;).

Alison

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    Who is Ana Castillo? I've heard of her, but I've never REALLY heard of her in the "of course it's feminist fiction!" sense. I'd better go google.
    Hmmm, you're kind of right, now that I think of it. She's not, like, Margaret Atwood or Alice Walker in that sense. But when she came out on the scene, she was *really* young, and wrote all these amazing super-feminist poems (the two best-known collections are My Father Was a Toltec and Women Are Not Roses), and then moved into fiction and she kind of made a big splash in the early 80s and has since moved on to being quietly tokenized on American Women Writers syllabi. But despite not being as widely read as it should be, her work is amazing.

The Mixquiahuala Letters, her first novel, is an epistolary novel told in the form of letters between two woman (exploring womens' friendships), and the idea is that the letters can be read in any order and you get a different narrative.

(That's me, that guest up there.)

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedali
    And to get old school, there's always Kate Chopin's The Awakening and Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, which are just freaking brilliant.
    Those two are great.

Though I have to admit, I like Charlotte's sister Emily a little better -- Wuthering Heights is so, so beautiful. I haven't read it in years, but I think I would really like to read it again soon.

Oh, Wuthering Heights scared the hell out of me. I actually had a nightmare before I read the book about being in a Bronte sort of house and being locked in a room with a ghost (common theme with the Bronte sisters, I guess).

(bump. I'll try to add more later!)

who wrote Rubyfruit Jungle? that's kind of a lesbian/feminist classic. i guess it's not fiction, though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads