Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Books for Toddlers

Do you have a favorite read-a-loud that your child likes or that you remember from your own childhood? Always looking for recomendations.

Here's one we read tonight that always cracks me up. It's called "What" by Kate Lum and Adrian Johnson. It's about a crafty granny and her grandson who doesn't want to go to bed.

2. # ADS

I worked with two-year-olds at a day care center during college, and a big favorite was Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...0&kids=y&itm=2 ). They loved it because they got to make the animal sounds. I read it so many times, I still remember big chunks of it:
    "Oh the wonderful things Mr. Brown can do
    He can go like a cow
    He can go "Moo, moo"
    Mr. Brown can do it
    How about you?"
    Try whipping THAT out at diner parties ;).

Alison

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    Brown Bear books
    Eic Carle books
    Dav Pilkey ROCKS!

Absolute favorites? Max and Ruby books by Rosemary Wells!!! I think we still have the whole collection. Fun for both adults and kids.

Babybug for young toddlers or Ladybug for prescholers. Both lavish literary magazines put out by Caris Publishing. Spider for primary- intermediate grades; Cricket for intermediate to middle school. Cicada for highschool. BEAUTIFUL! Worth every penny. Nice website available to subscribers with lots of cool parent/child activities. Spend way too much $$ at Caris every year.

We also worked our way way through the entire Caldecot section of the library. ..."Why Mosquitos buzz in People's Ears"....."Lon Pon Po"......"Golem"..."Mike Mulligan"..."The Little House"..."Ferdinand the Bull".

Goodnight, Moon(!!!!!!!)
    The Velveteen Rabbit (ditto)
    The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
    Go, Dog, Go
    One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (ok, any Dr. Seuss will do, but this is my favorite)
    Tuesday

I second the Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Eric Carle recommendation. It's easy to read, very little text so the kids don't get bored. When I worked at a daycare, I always explained to the two-year-olds that "I don't want to pick a book that's too text-heavy because it won't hold your attention". That always got some great blank stares.

I love Robert Munsch books -- the stories might be too involved for some toddlers, but the great thing is that you're meant to read the books with a lot of expression and sound effects, so I think some would still be appropriate. "I Have To Go" is a classic (as a bonus, it's been banned in some schools because it has the word "pee" in it -- it could be your child's first introduction to the wonderful world of banned books!).

This was one of my favorites, it's called i think The Busy World of Richard Scarry(?)

omgoodness i loved the busy world of richard scary. We like Barney's Book of Nusery Rhymes (or any nursery rhyme book), Hello (i'll edit with author later my kid's reading it now), and all the other favorites already listed.

My two-year-old's favorite book is the phone book. Hee, it cracks me up. She will be entertained for ten minutes at a time (right now, that's like hours in adult time) sitting and paging through a phone book.

Her favorite read-alouds are Dr. Seuss books. Unfortunately, her current favorite of those is The Foot Book, which is my least favorite. She also likes this book called I Like Me! by Nancy Carlson, which is about a pig who has incredibly good self-esteem (I love that book), and I Will Never NOT EVER Eat a Tomato by Lauren Child, which involves a picky eater whose brother gets her to eat stuff by pretending it's alien food and such.

I don't remember really loving any books until The Cricket in Times Square, so I'm not sure what I liked way back when.

Eric Carle, Chica Chica Boom Boom, and Brown Bear make the list for best books for toddlers for promoting literacy & preparing kids to become better readers from the National Center for Family Literacy. Other pics from this list include:

A Summery Saturday Morning - Margaret Mahy
    Alligator Arrived with Apples: A Potluck Alphabet Feast - Crecent Dragonwagon (of cookbook fame)
    Barn Dance! - Also by Bill Martin Jr.
    Good Night Gorilla - Margaret wise Brown
    Zoom - Istvan Banyai (this is a worldless book and very cool!)
    Shoo Fly - Iza Trapani
    Ten Black Dots - Donald Crews

There are a ton more listed, but that's some of my favorites. and for those that don't know Bill Martin Jr. died this year - I was sad to hear it, his books have consistantly been amazing.

I know these are probably not considered children's "literature" but the board books by Sandra Boynton are fabulous!

They're quirky, funny, and refreshingly out of the box. Moo, Baa, La la la and But Not the Hippopotamus are my favorites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads