Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Guest is me.

My computer will not remember me when I return to the site, and will not prompt me to log in when I post.

It's getting embarrassing.

2. # ADS

(xuli: have you disabled cookies?)

The Federalist Papers is the top of my list. I know I could get into the lexicon fine (back in the day I used the KJV for religion class because it was much more fun) but the theory would drag me down. And then if I thought at all about the current state of affairs.... yeah.

dude, i have never read anything by Ayn Rand.

and honestly, i don't really want to. i don't even know what "Atlas Shrugged" is about in the remotest sense.

but i'm a science major, so the fact that i am actually more than functionally literate is just a fringe benefit. kidding. but not really.

i am missing quite a bit of classic literature... and i made myself a promise that i pick them all up one summer... still haven't...

the great gasby
    moby dick
    great expectation
    pride & prejudice
    of human bondage

i know there are more... but these are the ones i feel the worst about... *sigh*

kate
    =o)

The ONLY book I feel bad about not reading is Anna Karenina, only because everyone else on Earth seems to have done so and it makes me feel quite illiterate.

I should read more Austen, but I don't feel bad about that because I know I'll get to it.

I'm sure if I'd stayed in college longer I'd feel guilty about not reading stuff that I don't know enough about to feel guilty over right now.

Quote Originally Posted by earthborn
    moby dick
    You know, I've NEVER heard anyone who actually read Moby Dick say they enjoyed the experience, so don't feel too bad about that one.

And based on the annoyingness of Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and Damned, I'd say don't feel bad about Gatsby, but that may be a matter of taste.

I have tried so many times to read The Beautiful and the Damned, it's really hard to find the flow. But my favorite Fitzgerald is actually his first - This Side of Paradise. If I ever find myself teaching high school English (not likely, but teaching at all was unlikely once and now I'm entering a credential program) it's out with Gatsby and its Cliffs Notes and in with This Side.

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    I have tried so many times to read The Beautiful and the Damned, it's really hard to find the flow. But my favorite Fitzgerald is actually his first - This Side of Paradise.
    I have to try that one now, I didn't mind his writing style so much as the main characters. They were supremely irritating. Now that I've finished that one, though, I do want to try out some of his other stuff, so that's a great rec--thanks! :)

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    The ONLY book I feel bad about not reading is Anna Karenina, only because everyone else on Earth seems to have done so and it makes me feel quite illiterate.
    I feel the same way about Anna Karenina, but my husband (who took a whole course on Tolstoy) assures me that I ain't missing anything :)

You know, I've NEVER heard anyone who actually read Moby Dick say they enjoyed the experience,
    it's true. Moby Dick f*cking sucks. on so many levels.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads