Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

guilty reading pleasures...

what are some books that you love but that you're maybe not exactly...proud of?

i was at a library book sale where you could buy as many books as you could fit in a grocery bag for $1...needless to say, i filled up many bags...with a lot of "well maybe this'll come in handy some day..."

there were many copies of THE THORN BIRDS and i happily grabbed one, albeit furtively...i just love this book.

what are your guilty book pleasures?

2. # ADS

My favorites are murder/mystery/police-type dramas. Absolutely pointless and non-educational, other than big police-y, forensic words. I feel bad reading them only because I have a short stack of classics I told myself to read and I have started compiling a list of more classics and "smarter" reads that I would like to finish before I die.

I love cheesy romance novels with something of a plot. I can't help it. They are like junk food for my brain.

i'm with happydaisy i LOVE cheesy romance novels. Or like the books you can buy from www.eharlequin.com (might have misspelled harlequin) I always will have a saturday night when I wash my hair, paint my nails, put on a facial and either watch a cheesy girl movie or read one of those books. Although I'm really not proud to admit my favorites are the 'Blaze' books. Not erotica but very sexy. LOL

Sparkle Hayter's stuff. Not really guilty, but nothing but fluff.

oh, and The Cat Who . . . books. I've read them since I was a pre-teen, I think, and they are the only books I feel kind of embarrassed about reading. not sure why. I should probably add Star Trek novels (old school and sometimes (rarely) TNG) in there, but I haven't read one of them in years, so it's not really a current guilty pleasure.

I too like too mysteries and have often gotten caught up in a series (The cat who..., Richard Drury's mysteries, Rita Mae Brown's stuff - similar to the Cat Who) But usually I read these in a couple of hours and then feel bad about all the stuff I should be reading instead.

I love, love, love romanitc suspense stuff from the 50's through the 70's (Mary Stewart, early Victoria Holt, Phyllis Whitney). I would like some "cheesy romance novels with something of a plot" but when I'm at the libray I'm often overwhelmed by the rows and rows of embarrising covers in the romance section and chicken out of trying one. HappyDaisy can you recommend an author - especially something with 1/2 a plot which is why I liked the Mary Stewart stuff.

i'm a little embarrassed of my huge new age collection. anything to do with wicca or feng shui makes me feel kinda dorky. but it's who i am, what can i say? a lot of the new age stuff seems so contrary to my punk rock background, but my friends have gotten used to incorporating the two interests of mine when they think of me. ;P

Picapica - I enjoy many cheesy romance novelists. Depending on the edition, most of these have tame covers so they are easy to remove from the library or bookstore. The following is a short list of my favorites:

Jane Ann Krentz - Contemporary romance; Savvy business woman + Savvy business man must find a way to solve a predictable mystery. Also writes as Amanda Quick.

Amanda Quick - Historical romance; headstong heroine + cynical hero must find a way to work together to solve a silly and predictable mystery. These books are frequently lighthearted and funny.

Julie Garwood - Historical romance; isolated, but strong woman + cynical Nobleman must work together to get heroine out of some mess involving her family or corrupt nobles.

Judith McNaught - Historical and Contemporary romance; strong woman + serious man must find a way to overcome emotional obstacles. These books are a little more serious, but well written.

Excellent! Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking forward to them - anyone else?

ahhhh i love romance novels too, i can't help myself... but picapica i have the same problem as you regarding checking them out at the library!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads