Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

audio books: perfect for crafting!

i know this was touched upon briefly in the thread about audible.com, but i have found listening to books on CD to be just about the absolute most enjoyable thing in the world when i am crafting, and thought i'd share/ask for recommendations!
    i'm finding that i tend to enjoy books most that are read by the author (especially in cases of biography!)

i got these from my local library:

- any and all david sedaris; he has the most amazing reading voice and the most compelling humor style!
    - the lemony snicket books (i've only heard book one, and it was read by tim curry!)
    - alice in wonderland / through the looking glass
    - charlotte's web, read by e.b. white
    - augusten burroughs' weird memoirs like "magical thinking" (mostly about the period in his life when he worked in advertising) and "dry" (mostly about the period in his life when he was an alcoholic and in love with a crack addict dude) and "running with scissors" (mostly about the period in his life when he was living with his mother's psychiatrist and in a relationship with a crazy pedophile)
    - fierce pajamas : humor stories from the new yorker
    - hilary clinton's autobiography, a pretty interesting listen regardless of your political tendencies.
    - episodes of this american life, and books by this american life contributor sarah vowell

your recommendations?

2. # ADS

I've listened to all the Lemony Snicket books on cassette or cd - isn't Tim Curry great? And several of the books have original music by the Magnetic Fields on them!

I listen to a lot of young adult fantasy on tape, Stephen King, and classics (all things more easily available on tape). The Gunslinger books on tape are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    I've listened to all the Lemony Snicket books on cassette or cd - isn't Tim Curry great? And several of the books have original music by the Magnetic Fields on them!
    i know, so great! it's because daniel handler (author of the lemony snicket books) is in the magnetic fields!
    i love tim curry.

i love books on tape, I live in ohio so we have multiple locations of this awesome close-out store Marc's, I was shopping there and they had a TON of books on tape for $0.99! I grabbed a bunch and the authors aren't extremely well known but i love listening to all of them... Danielle Steele is also an amazing author to listen to her books are just amazing!

i'm so right there with you...before audio books i used to read maybe 1 or 2 books a year...now that i get audio from the library i've "heard" 12 in 2 months! woo hoo!

My grandmother was nearly blind and the county library sent her a cassette player and several books each month. She liked biographies a lot, especially presidents. We used to listen together while I worked jigsaw puzzles in the summer.

My hub and I would listen to books on tape/cd on long car trips. At rest stops, we'd compare notes as to who would play what part if the book were ever made into a movie.

One of these days, I'll get a chance to craft for more than 10 min at a time and start listening to books again!

I listened to Wicked (17 CDs!!) while designing and stitching a quilt. You can really let your mind sail.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    i know, so great! it's because daniel handler (author of the lemony snicket books) is in the magnetic fields!
    i love tim curry.

What?! Oh my. I love Tim Curry. His voice melts my kneecaps and vibrates my sternum. And the Magnetic Fields...sigh.

I've never listened to books on tape before, but I may start now.

audio books

I listened to 'Frankenstein' this summer, and also have Pride & Prejudice in my iPod's library...I've never read the classics, and now I can experience them a whole different way. The reader for "I Don't Know How She Does It" is excellent -- I was sorry when I finished the book because I enjoyed her so much.

Plus, now I can knit AND read on planes at the SAME TIME...bliss! (and I don't have to lug around heavy books anymore, even better

What?! Oh my. I love Tim Curry. His voice melts my kneecaps and vibrates my sternum. And the Magnetic Fields...sigh.
    there are some really great novel/narrator pairings out there - and some really bizarre ones. during MsFish's Great Needlepoint Blitz of '04, i heard laurie anderson read don delillo's "the body artist" (i hate both narrator and author there, so it sort of worked out) and john "j. peterman" o'hurley's version of dostoyevsky's poor people" (his weird enthusiasm was the only thing that kept me from wanting to hang myself in despair after that story).

my favorite thing about audiobooks? a lot of subscription services offer trucker discounts (which i'm not, but the term "trucker discounts" makes me giggle).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads