Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does anyone else also like True Crime?

I really enjoy reading true crime every once in a while. Really, I think I like to read it because of the 'detective' and science lover in me (my dad was a cop and I swear it's in my blood). All the forensic/DNA 'stuff.' Also, it gives you an inside look at the victims of these horrid crimes and the perpetrators of them. I am not a huge fan of the TV show CSI but love Discovery Channel's 'The New Detectives,' A&E's 'Cold Case' and Court TV's 'Forensic Files.'

Ann Rule is a favorite true crime author of mine --but really any good true crime story I will get 'lost' in.

Anyone have any good recommendations??

2. # ADS

Ooh, yes to everything you said! I would be in forensic science if I didn't, well, hate science. It's so fascinating.

I was also going to suggest Ann Rule. But of course, the definitive book of the genre (I think) is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I think I heard that it's a bit fictionalized, but not a lot. Oh, so good!

There are a few others that I can't remember now. I'll think on it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssalicious
    But of course, the definitive book of the genre (I think) is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I think I heard that it's a bit fictionalized, but not a lot. Oh, so good!

I'll have to check that one out, thanks!

Knits4 -

I'm a big fan of true crime shows and books. One book that was really good was called The Bone Lady by Mary Manheim, she's a forensic anthropologist who tries to solve john doe crimes with reconstructions and things, and she talks about different cases. Some of the stuff to do with crimes against children was tough to read, but it was a great book.

Then I saw her on one of the true crime shows and I was waving my arms and shouting, "That's the bone lady! That's the bone lady!" like a big nerd.

Also, I really like John Douglas' books - he was one of the original profilers of serial killers for the FBI. I esp liked "Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit".

Quote Originally Posted by CraftinFool
    Also, I really like John Douglas' books - he was one of the original profilers of serial killers for the FBI. I esp liked "Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit".
    I thought that was a great book! I love true crime, although I almost exclusively read Ann Rule. I read the John Douglas book and I enjoyed it, but I think I prefer Ann Rule's presentation.

you should read The Last Victim by Jason Moss ... it's not a forensic science type book but a true story about a guy who becomes penpals with serial killers such as John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer. In the letters he is pretending to be like their model victims to get them inticed to read and write back and when they do they begin to describe their crimes to the teeth. Very interesting especially since it all happened.

I like forensic anthropologist William R Maples' book, _Dead Men Do Tell Tales_. He could reconstruct from tiny fragments what happened to most of the Tsar's family, build domestic cases for murder, stuff like that. Really neat guy.

I'll read true crime and watch the forensic shows in preference to most fiction. Like others here, I may watch CSI type things but get turned off with knowing the science discovery doesn't happen the way they show it, let alone the law enforcement angle.

A little off tangent: I kinda like Joe Nickell's work, too. He is a researcher who debunks stuff by painstakingly building up to the crime or the historic event rather than 'assuming facts not in evidence' or leaping to conclusions and working backwards. He's sometimes a little pedantic, but hey.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftinFool
    Then I saw her on one of the true crime shows and I was waving my arms and shouting, "That's the bone lady! That's the bone lady!" like a big nerd.
    That made me lol. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnittyMomma
    you should read The Last Victim by Jason Moss ...
    Sounds interesting! thanks.

Thanks for all these true crime suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads