Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What did you read in March 2005?

You knew it was coming! So how did you do?

• Silent Spring by Rachel Carson - Obviously a classic and really a model on how to write popular science books.
      The Liberal Mind in a Conservative Age: American Intellectuals in the 1940s and 1950s by Richard H. Pells - We read the first half for class, but I liked the book so I finished it. Ends with the McCarthy hearings and the eve of the New Left, but really explains how the Liberals of the 40s and 50s laid the ground work for neo-conservativism and failed the next generation of liberal thinkers.
      Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King - Listened to on tape. I'm a huge fan of the Dark Tower series and this is a related work - and did not disappoint in that department.... low men....
      Victorian Social Medicine: The Ideas and Methods of William Farr by John M. Eyler - For a paper. Fascinating topic, boring book.
      Death Is a Social Disease: Public Health and Political Economy in Early Industrial France by William Coleman - Much more interesting book on the same topic.
      Babes in Toyland: The Making and Selling of a Rock and Roll Band by Neal Karlen - Horribly written, but it was fun to reminisce.
      Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - Realized I never read it as a kid so picked it up on tape at the library. A great book, really.

2. # ADS

Hearts in Atlantis! Oh, man. I read that before I was even obsessed with playing Hearts. It's a good book. Low Men in Yellow Coats is the best, I think, though.

Okay, here's my list:

Milk by Darcy Steinke - Reading done for pleasure! It was such a quick read. A book about religion/insanity/sex, etc.
    Demian by Hermann Hesse - for a class, still have mixed feelings on this.
    Listening to Olivia by Jody Raphael. Another book for class, finally finished it up, it's about prostitution's causes and recognizing a lot of the myths about it.
    Woman Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros
    House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

I also read a lot of Kafka short stories, Flannery O'Connor short stories, and fairy tales, both for class and self.

I feel accomplished.

Wow, I wish I had more time to read!
    I finished
    The DaVinci Code
    Personally, I loved it.

I seriously want to cry about this...I think I may have read one book, but I can't for the life of me think of what that could be!

This has been way too hectic a month for me to read books. Sad.

i read:

*the time traveler's wife, audrey niffenegger -- loved it!
    *home: a short history of an idea, witold rybczynski -- "comfort" is an idea! who knew!?!?! i found it pretty fascinating and very relevant to issue of modern domesticity

and i had begun in march the club dumas by arturo perez-reverte. i think i'm going to finish it today. it's a more of literary (in more ways the one) mystery.

aah, I have not been looking forward to this thread for once. I only finished six books, I think. I blame it all on F. Scott Fitzgerald. I did browse through a dozen books, but I don't count them because they weren't done linearly.

(I will try to get the list done a little later, after work slows down!)

I read Devil in the White City this month. I REALLY liked it. I also read 3 or 4 silly romance novels while on vacation. With work, family and additional hobbies, I can only read about one serious book a month.

I can't remember author names, but here are a few titles I read in March:

The Haunting of L--a fantastic moody story set in Canada just past the turn of the century-- spirit photographs, a love triangle, great writing

Elegance-- a funny/sad book about a woman whose life is a mess but she hardly realises it. a melancholy kind of cinderella tale. i thought it had good parts, but overall was unsatisfying

The Dwelling-- a terrific old-fashioned haunted house story. totally chilling and great.

The Quality of Life Report--a "woman leaves big city for small town middle america" story, although without all of the lovely fantasy-happy things that generally make me like those stories. but edgy and well-written nonetheless

The Second Assistant-- co authored by Clare Naylor, whose other chick lit books i think are great. this one, which took place in the L.A. agent/celebrity world, not so much...

and have just started a Maeve Binchy book given me by a work colleague. i have resisted Maeve ever since i hated the film of Circle of Friends, but I am really enjoying this book, Light a Penny Candle. I must always be reminded that popular books are popular for a REASON. usually that they are entertaining.

Sigh. This was the busiest month I've had in a long, long time. So...I only read...Alive, (yes, the plane crash/cannibalism story! Sensational, yes, but interesting) Fear of Flying (the Erica Jong classic -- IS it a classic?) and The Time Traveler's Wife (no surprise -- loved it, as do many). All were found at one of those large library book sales where you grab a grocery bag and fill it with as much as you can for $1. I definitely got book-crazed and came away with many books which I may never crack open.

Currently reading And the Band Played On (account of the early years of the AIDS crisis) and We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families (stories from the Rwandan genocide). Slow-going, these two. Great writing, difficult subject matter.

SO my inching toward 50 books by year's end continues...only up to...nine. Oh my.

This has been a month of good books:

Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson. I thought it was well written and interesting. Parts of it were downright funny. It didn't knock my socks off but I'd still recommend it highly.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. I really liked it while I was reading, but it wasn't until I finished it that I realized what a gorgeous story it is. It's not one of those books that you read and then finish, it's one of those books that really happens to you.

The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard. Eh. It was a good airplane book but it didn't change my life. A lot of the story is a love story and I just couldn't make myself want the characters to be together. Still, it was quick and very readable.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. My second time reading it and just as good as ever. It's one of the only science fiction books I've ever liked, and it's become one of my favorites. Once I pick it up I can't put it down!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads