Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    i'm about to start "running with scissors" about a kid growing up with his mother's psychiatrist, who then goes crazy. supposed to be very funny and sad.

anyone read it? i like memoirs that can laugh at the absurdity of life.

2. # ADS

Jean, that book is great! I just reread it recently. He does not, exactly, go crazy in the book. He's just sort of lazy; well, you'll read it. It's kind of disturbing because I thought, "How can people like these exist?" It's almost as though everytime I think my family is weird, some crazy memoir comes out to make me shut my mouth and read on like eavesdropping on some nasty family gossip.

Enjoy it!

I'm reading "The New Life Hotel" by Edward Hower, my husband's uncle. It's about two women and an American school teacher in a small African town. It's great!

Cold Mountain. The movie didn't appeal to me at all, but my mom said the book was excellant(she didn't see the movie either). I just finished Dirty Girls Social Club and As Luck Would Have it (incredible stories rom lottery wins to lightening strikes) by Joshua Piven - he's the guy behind all those Worst Case Scenario books. That was pretty interesting!
    I like the library!

Jean -

I got "Running With Scissors" from the library a few months ago and loved it. It is so quirky and intimate and I know it sounds trite but it just had such a great "triumphing over adversity" thing for me. I really want to read his book "Sellevision" now.

I just finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith. What a great book! I am now reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss and re-reading The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss M
    I just finished Dirty Girls Social Club
    I loved that book! I liked Running with Scissors, too. It was horrible and hilarious.

I want to get Stiff for the road trip -- I forgot about that book, but I've been wanting to read it for a long time. Thanks for the reminder, CraftinFool!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    Right now I'm reading magazines -- I just found this one called Rescue, but I should have skimmed it in the bookstore first, because it's creeping me out for some reason. I think it's the editor and the fact that his name seems plastered on half of the pages. Is that a weird reaction, though? I don't mind reading autobiographies, which are totally author-centric, but I guess I just expect something different from a magazine.
    I've bought two issues of Rescue and ya, it does seem a bit editor-centric doesn't it? A few of the articles have been fantastic tho' and I think it'll be great to cut up for collage material but I'm not sure I'll buy it again. It reminds me a bit of Jane but without the fashion&celebrities if that makes any sense.

ETA: Since the semester is over & my summer class hasn't begun yet I can actually read for pleasure. I almost forgot what that feels like :p Anyways, I'm currently reading The Redemption of Althalus by David&Leigh Eddings.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    just finished listening to The Reptile Room (2nd Series of Unfortunate Events book) last night.
    My mom hipped me to listening to books on tape/cds. When my life gets really hectic and I don't have the time to read before bed or any other time, I will get a good book on cd and listen to it in the car. My commute to work is 45 mins to an hour one way so I can cover major ground that way.

@robotgirl...The Bean Trees is one of my all time fave novels! I think I am due for a re-read too!

Yer welcome moon lemming! You'll have to let me know what you think of it.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads