Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    One of the benefits of working in a library:

Under the Banner of Heaven. Jon Krakauer's account of two brothers who turned to fundamentalist/polygamist Mormonism and ended up murdering their sister in law and niece because God commanded them. A friend of mine has been living in Utah and has clerked as a law student for one of the attorneys who prosecuted them. I'm still in the early and very upsetting parts which talk about polygamy and the communities where it's still practiced.

Jarhead. Anthony Swofford's account of his time in the Marine Corps during the Gulf War. He's from my hometown, which is part of the reason why I wanted to read it. Good writer and intense subject matter. Though in the back of my mind, I have to wonder if he was inspired by the funnier/satirical Rivethead, which was written by a buddy of Michael Moore's about life on the assembly line in Flint.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by EarthTones
    My mom hipped me to listening to books on tape/cds.
    My mom too! Personally it motivates me to go to the gym and its great for walks during lunch. I'm just restricted to what I can take out of the library, so I've ended up reading a lot of young adult fiction because of that (most of the regular adult tapes are popular fiction that I'm not interested in).

Snufkin-

You reminded me of how I really wanted to read Under the Banner of Heaven! I had forgotten all about it. Do you like it so far?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyc
    Snufkin-

You reminded me of how I really wanted to read Under the Banner of Heaven! I had forgotten all about it. Do you like it so far?
    Yes. As much as I've talked with people about Krakauer's books, I'm embarrassed to admit this is the first one I've actually cracked open.

It's interesting to read in light of the whole Elizabeth Smart kidnapping (which is discussed in an early chapter) and my friend's work with the Attorney General's office in Salt Lake City. From what she told me, I gather that the attorneys who prosecuted the case think the two brothers used their 'revelation from God' as an excuse to committ revenge against their sister in law. She'd assisted the wife of one of them in getting a divorce after he'd had his 'revelation' to become a polygamist.

But so far I've just made it through the background about the polygamous groups in Arizona and Utah. It's *extremely* upsetting to read about religious faith being used to justify pedophilia and exploitation.

i really liked Under the banner... I just finished East of Eden for my book club, and tonight we meet and decide on a new book...maybe I'll suggest Zadie Smith's newer one? (I could not finsih White Teeth.)

I need a good fiction read, thanks for all of the ideas!

Right now, I'm on a non-fiction bent:

Everyday Enlightenment by Dan Millman (for a book group)

and

Emotional Alchemy by Tara Bennett-Goleman.

I have The Holographic Universe on hold at the library, but I'm 13th in line!

I have a month break from night-school now, so I am really looking forward to some fiction.

I reading Unspeakable by Sandra Brown and a book on how to write press releases, but the name escapes me.

I just checked out Ulysses from the library and I'm going to try to get all the way through it. We'll see how this goes.

I was on a Jackie Kennedy kick before that, so I read, like, four biographies about her. Oh, and I just read Slate's Guide to the 2004 candidates, which was pretty funny.

I'm reading some books about Jehovah's Witnesses. It's more or less to explore my past. I want to see other views on them then what I grew up with as a Jehovah's Witness.
    I'm also reading Out of Africa by Isak Dinesan. It's something slow that I can read a little at a time.

hello...
    i just read
    100 demons and then cruddy by lynda barry
    and i want more lynda barry!!

and then i got a zine in the mail

and now i'm reading
    writing as a way of healing by louise desalvo

and a relationship helping book how embarassing.

:)

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads