Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bird by Bird - Anne Lamott: My favorite writing book ever. I re-read this one often.
    naturallysteph, i have been meaning to read this book for years. a friend gave it to me at least 6 years ago as a gift and lately everyone around me says how wonderful it is. i will definitely read the book now! a friend read it for a class last year at her college and one of my favorite musicians, melissa ferrick just mentioned at a show last week how the book helped her write a song a few years back.

-Danielle

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by indieinkgrrl
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (incredible! took a few chapters to get into but i was really glad once it got going)
    I'm reading that right now, it's great!

Quote Originally Posted by indieinkgrrl
    i have been meaning to read this book for years.
    You will love it! She has such an honest and hilarious approach to writing. A lot of the advice she gives is available elsewhere, but it is still refreshing to hear a published author admit that they have "shitty first drafts" (the title of a chapter), too.

Her other nonfiction books, Operating Instructions (about having a baby as an only parent) and Traveling Mercies (about religion) are also quite wonderful. I have yet to read her fiction.

- Steph

athena! where did you find King of Morning, Queen of Day? I read that book like 10 years ago and loved it, 'loaned" my copy away and have been desperate to read it again... it was so eerie.

Quote Originally Posted by belleepoque
    athena! where did you find King of Morning, Queen of Day? I read that book like 10 years ago and loved it, 'loaned" my copy away and have been desperate to read it again... it was so eerie.
    you know, i have no idea where i got it from. a few years ago, my parents retired and moved 5 states away and had a garage sale. there was a frightening number of books, some mine, some from my parents, some from my sisters. of course, i went through all of them before we put them out, so i grabbed this. no idea whose it was originally. i could have bought it myself and not remembered. now that i think of it, i probably bought it when it was published in 1991 as i was going through a fantasy phase and it got lost in all of my clutter.

anyway, you can have it if you want. pm me your address, and i will send it off.

thanks so much, athena! i just pm'd you...

Quote Originally Posted by picapica
    Quote Originally Posted by dalva

Blackbird House - Alice Hoffman.
    The first of her novels I read was The Probable Future, and I really liked it. So, as is my habit once I read something I like, I read everything that has been written by said author. Her books take on a sameness sometimes, this was an example.

I'm reading Blackbird House now - actually I started to during a trip and haven't gotten back to it. I liked what I read, but it hasn't capitvated me (if it had I wouldn't have been able to put it down). I'm not sure if I can tell if you liked it or ultimately found it to be to much of the same theme. Or if you just liked the other one much more.

The Time Traveler's Wife is on a list for me too.
    On the Blackbird House tip: I enjoyed it, I guess what I was trying to illustrate was that I have read nearly all of her books at this point, and three of them I loved, and one I couldn't put down. This book fit into good, but not re-readable. So i guess what I have said in this long-winded reply is this: It didn't captivate me, but I liked it.

I would move The Time Traveler's Wife to the top of your list, get it transfered at the library if necessary, this book dominated my thoughts for days and days; it is one of those books that you take a chunk from and carry it with you for the rest of your life, know what I mean?

I hope this clarified, rather than confounded.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedali
    I am feeling kind of inadequate reading this list. I read a few YA novels for work, but the only other really significant thing I remember reading was Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. And about half of Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. I'm such an underachiever. An underachiever with a major crush on Jamie Fraser. Although, really, that's over 1000 pages, so I guess it could be worse.

Oh, and I concur the The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is a fantastic book. The sheer breadth of it is staggering.

Alison
    Hahaha! The Gabaldon series ruined my life! I could't get anything done, I brushed my teeth while reading these books, one saga after another. She gets shit sometimes for being in the romance section; which is funny considering how extensive her research was for the historical accuracy of the books. Maybe it's just something about Scottish Men, yummy!

Oh, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay? Incredible. It is written in such a specific voice.

*Edited to apologize for making my comments in two posts.*

I read The Time Traveler's Wife in January and I absolutely adored it. Dalva is right--put it on the top of your list. I didn't do as much reading as I wanted to last month, but I think I made up for it. I read The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper, which was a really fun children's fantasy book involving Old Ones and signs of stone and dark, evil men and everything else that makes children's fantasy worth reading and Candy and Me by Hilary Liftin. It's sort of an autobiography told through candy consumption. I enjoyed it immensely, if only because I can understand how tempting jars of store bought cake frosting can be. I recomend it to anyone who prefers "sweet" to "savory".

I just read From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz. It was a very engagine, well written novel! One of his best, and one of my all time favorite novels.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads