Thread: Ann Tyler

Ann Tyler

Do you love her books or hate them? Do you find them engaging or boring? Is she part of literature or just commercial stuff that sell a lot but will never be immortal? Do you like her characters (especially women)? What is yr favorite book by her? Your least favorite?

2. # ADS

the only book by Tyler I've read is the one that had the picture of the back of a woman's head on the cover (I can't remember the title!!!), it was about this woman falling in love late in life . . . that's not very specific, sorry.

I liked it better a week after I finished reading it, if that makes sense. I didn't like it a lot while I was in the middle of it, but after the whole thing sat in my head for a while, I was like, "hey, that was an okay book after all."

maybe I should read one of the other three Tyler books I have laying around in my house. maybe not . . .? I guess I'll be watching this thread, hehe. :)

I started with A PATCHWORK PLANET. I really liked WHEN WE WERE GROWN UPS, i found the woman character very true. I absolutely loved THE AMATEUR MARRIAGE, and kept thinking and even dreaming about characters of the book for an entire weekend... such an engaging book. now am half way through BREATHING LESSONS, and I am disappointed to see how the main character is as irrational as the woman in The Amateur Marriage. so much that what i found very true sounds a little stereotypical now...

I love Anne Tyler. Actually, my favorite of hers was Breathing Lessons. It is one of my all-time favorite books. It inspired me to make a mock apple pie and trick my friends in college. (They thought it was a real apple pie). Other favorites have been Accidental Tourist and Morgan's Passing. I think her characters are wonderful.

I loved Saint Maybe. I read it ages ago but I still remember some of the descriptions - the people all seemed so real.

Remove Ads

Ads