Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kittensrme
    The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan: I really loved it. It was really interesting as kind of a history book, to know exactly how women lived and thought back then, and to compare it to women's experiences in more recent history.
    The Feminine Mystique is definitely one of those "must reads" if anything to get the cultural impact that it made. It sounds like you would like The Second Sex by Simone De Beauvoir as well, which is her exploration of what it has meant to be a woman throughout history and how that has prevented women from being individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by kittensrme
    The Miserable Mill, The Austere Academy, and The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snickett: Someone on this board once said the Series of Unfortunate Events books keep getting progressively better, and she was absolutely right.
    I just finished the last one (the Grim Grotto) and it wasn't as good as the last two (The Slippery Slope and The Carnivorous Carnivale) which I thought were the best in the whole series, I can't wait to hear what you think when you get to those!

2. # ADS

I've got to start a book log. The book I remember was The Kite Flyer by Khaled Hosseini. Really enjoyed it.

Well this is my first time to post on what did you read in.... I love reading. I work at teacher supply store and it gets really slow and boring during the day so we are able to read so I read a lot. I tried to keep track of all of my books but I am pretty sure that I missed two or three of them. But here's my list.

Echoes- Maeve Binchy
    P.S. I Love You-Cecilia Ahem
    The Earth, my Butt and Other Big Round Things- Carolyn Mackler
    Vegan Virgin Valentine- Carolyn Mackler
    Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants-Ann Brashares
    Secret History of the Pink Carnation-Lauren Willig
    Love and Other Four Letter Words-Carolyn Mackler

Sorry for not giving any descriptions but I have a massive headache and don't think I can remember all the things I would like to say about all of these. They were all good. The ones by Carolyn Mackler are Young Adult books but still good reads. Well I ll try to do better next month. Happy Reading Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay! Lauren Willig is my best friend in the world since I was 5! So happy to hear princess capri read her book.

And I third, or fourth the Abhorsen Trilogy recommendation.

This month was recycled books month. We were moving and I found a bunch of books in my attic and re-read them before giving them to goodwill.

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (If you have seen the movie but haven't read the book then you have made one huge mistake. I hate hate hate the movie compared to the book)

The Inhuman Condition Clive Barker. There are 5 stories in this book and I read 4 of them

100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories a collections of what? Yes, you guessed it....100 Ghastly Little Ghost stories. There are stories in there from O. Henry, Lovecraft, Wilde and then there are stories from many many unknown (by me) random authors

A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley. Meh, it was okay.

That is it...I think. I have been working on the great book of crossword puzzles I had packed away in the attic so not much reading.

Quote Originally Posted by amyr
    Eyeing the Flash-The Education of a Carnival Con Artist by Peter Fenton--the author's experiences of being a grifter in a traveling carnival. I knew carnival games were crooked--but this explains just how crooked!
    Sounds cool! I'll have to add it to my list. And to whoever read Stiff this month (sorry, I forgot), I have to agree that it was a great read. I think I referenced that one in conversation more than any other book last year!

This month was a bit slower for me, because I had one BIG read, Mrs. Dalloway, which I thought was wonderful. I took my time with it just to enjoy the language.

I also read these:

Venetia - Georgette Heyer: For the Chicklit book club. My first Heyer & I will definitely read more of her.
    The Tao of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff: A re-read. I love this book so much.
    Seven Up - Janet Evanovich: The series is getting worse, but still enjoyable enough for me to continue on.
    Teen Idol - Meg Cabot: My husband teased me about this one - the title plus hearts all over the cover - but it was fabulous fun, as I usually find her books.

Almost done with Haunted - by Chuck Palahniuk. It's pretty good. I like all his books though. It's taking me forever to read it though. I've got so many craft books to read and crafts to work on.

I also read a little of Sickened by Julie Gregory but I had to take it back to the library. It's really good. It's written as a memoir and is about Munchausen by Proxy which is completely amazing that anyone could do that to their kid. It's fascinating. And not amazing or fascinating in a good way - if you haven't heard of it, it's basically making your child sick so you can get attention. Like from suggesting to your child that they are sick enough to convince them, or as far as poisoning them a little everyday so they ARE deathly ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea
    I also read a little of Sickened by Julie Gregory but I had to take it back to the library. It's really good. It's written as a memoir and is about Munchausen by Proxy which is completely amazing that anyone could do that to their kid. It's fascinating. And not amazing or fascinating in a good way - if you haven't heard of it, it's basically making your child sick so you can get attention. Like from suggesting to your child that they are sick enough to convince them, or as far as poisoning them a little everyday so they ARE deathly ill.
    Hijack (for just a sec). I thought I remember something about Marshall Mathers (Eminem) Mother having that disorder, apparently he was the recipient.
    End Hijack

[quote="belleepoque"]Yay! Lauren Willig is my best friend in the world since I was 5! So happy to hear princess capri read her book.

Really?!?! Yes I love her book. It's one I think I am actually going to buy!!! You can tell her that I love it!!!!

I read:
    The Gryphon by Nick Bantock---I love Nick Bantock. It's a continuation of his Griffin and Sabine trilogy...
    Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon--this was really good. It's told from the point of view of a child with autism.
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads