Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What did you read in May 2005?

End of the semester, so a mix of really boring public health history and fun stuff, 5 in all:

• Public Health and Social Justice in the Age of Chadwick: Britain, 1800-1854 by Christopher Hamlin - Revisionist history, I get it, Chadwick was an ass.
      Edwin Chadwick and the public health movement, 1832-1854 by R. A Lewis - Old school history, pretty boring.
      The Stastical Movement in early Victorian Britain: The foundations of empirical social research by M. J Cullen - The best of the bunch on Chadwick.
      The Grim Grotto (Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 11) by Lemony Snicket -A bit of a disappointment after The Carnivorous Carnivale and The Slippery Slope which really refreshed the series.
      Salem's Lot by Stephen King - I read this due to Father Callahan's character in The Dark Tower series, which I finished back in January. Similar to Needful Things, but not quiet as good. It was King's second novel, so he was still working out his style.

2. # ADS

Oh, I liked Salem's Lot! Such a fun story. The only vampire story I've ever really liked. Well, I don't even read "horror" except for Stephen King. He's such a good warm weather read, too.

A book of poetry by a professor (but I'm leaving the name out for intense fear of googlers).
    Selected Poetry of Rita Dove's-- so good! I can't believe I bought this book when I was fifteen because I'm not sure I understood more than a handful of the poems.

I finished up Stiff by Mary Roach -- it actually took me a semester to read the first half because I didn't have time to read it hardly. Very funny. Moon_lemming sent it to me, and I am so grateful she did. I got a lot of laughs out of learning about dead bodies (NOT death, there's a difference).

I also read The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell which pretty much describes my brand of patriotism, and it was just light and heart-warming. Hopeful, even.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi was read at the Barnes and Noble, and it was great. I loved it. It's illustrated and reads like a comic.

American Woman by Susan Choi-- pretty good. I even recommended it on the feminist fiction thread. I'm more fond of the plot than the writing style, but the writing style isn't all that bad compared to what's out there.

Right now I'm reading bell hooks, and I'm reading J.K. Rowling. Figure that one out.

I've been really busy and haven't read as much as I would have liked. I have been looking into Tarot - just bits and pieces here and there. I also finally got around to reading this new YA novel I'd been hearing raves about called Looking for Alaska by John Green. I thought parts of it were brilliant, but overall, it was a little bit of a disappointment, since a lot of the reviews I'd read were saying things like "it's the second coming of Catcher in the Rye". I also worked in a few graphic novels. The Runaways series from Marvel is great, except I went in not realizing it was a limited series and now I'm bitter that there's no more to read. I also read Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things, which was OK. There are already two more books in that series, and I'm hoping they get better.

Now it is summer break, and I plan to read, read, read to my little heart's content. :)

Alison

Nothing - April's effort wore me out! :-)

OK, I did read heaps and heaps of gardening magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by pudding
    Nothing - April's effort wore me out! :-)

OK, I did read heaps and heaps of gardening magazines.
    You should start a thread on Domestic Bliss sharing what blooms every month!
    Shockingly enough, I haven't killed any of the houseplants I got a few months ago and in fact, most of them have new growth!

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi was read at the Barnes and Noble, and it was great. I loved it. It's illustrated and reads like a comic.
    eeexcellent, I wasn't sure whether to check it out or not because of conflicting reviews, but I think I will.

okay, this is sort of sad, but I only finished one book this month, Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi. just as good as the first.

I read chunks of Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience and Cook 1.0, which is a good veggie cookbook by Heidi Swanson of Chickclick.com and 101cookbooks.com fame. oh, and this kids' book called The Starlight Princess and Other Princess Stories, which has some really pretty embroideries for illustrations.

Reread "Autobiography of a Face" by Lucy Grealy - one of the most amazing memoirs ever

Almost done with Tom Robbins' "Villa Incognito" - I'm enjoying it a lot

"Hypnobirthing" by Marie Mongon

I read The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics, it was pretty good and inspiring. I tried to read Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen but couldn't get into it, so now I'm reading Perks of Being a Wallflower, which I quite like. And I browsed crafty library books like Hollywood Knits Style, Handmade Modern and some feng shui books.

I think the only non-textbook I read last month was The Sixth Wives of Henry VIII, by Allison Weir. I'm on a bit of an obsessive streak about the women surrounding ol' Hank at the moment; I'm now reading a biography of Elizabeth I.

Other than that: Lots of the Texas Family Code (SO exciting, I know you're all totally jealous), case law, and the Texas Probate Code. My life is a whirlwind of fun, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    eeexcellent, I wasn't sure whether to check it out or not because of conflicting reviews, but I think I will.
    Conflicting reviews? I wonder what could have been said about it. It was just such a light read, I read it under an hour. Well, either way-- you can't go wrong because it IS such a quick read. I think the illustrations are worth it alone, though. They're just cute, if I can use that word to describe a book.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads