Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Journaling

Quote Originally Posted by emmie
    I have tried to keep journals all my life, but most of them no longer exist...because I have destroyed them... I start, get all interested and then decide I hate the way I write so I rip the pages up. I just can't help myself. I am trying again at the moment , more as a therapeutic outlet, but also as a place to just stuff around, draw and stuff for myself. Make something that isn't to sell or display. I wonder how far I'll get this time.
    i think there's something cathardic in this. i've always done the same thing. although i'll sometimes go as far as burning the pages (especially if the topic is something heavy.....) i've tried journaling on and off probably since i was 7 or 8 (and i had the hello kitty locking journal, too!). more off and on. really into it at first, drift away. come back less and less until not at all. but yeah, i look back and think i was such a dork (and i used to go to poetry readings and read some of this ca-ra-p?!?) sometimes i regret getting rid of them, but then i realize that i'd probably still destroy them if i looked at them now. maybe it's just a way of letting things go and moving on.

i actually came across a notebook from my junior year of high school. i won't look at it beacuse i don't want to destroy it. figure maybe i'll hold onto it for when my kids are at the age that mom doesn't understand. never went thru this. of course, they'll be teenagers and probably still think i'm stupid. but i even wrote them some letters at that age. not to be opened until they're around 15 and hate me. and i sure as hell won't look at those!

but if i traveled someplace really interesting i'd surely journal the experience. at least i'd like to think i would.

2. # ADS

The year before we were married, my DH and I went to Switzerland to visit my family. We each kept separate hournals of our trip. We read each other's journals on the plane trip home. His was very descriptive of atmosphere, impressions of my family, the sights, etc. He sat there reading mine, and after a few days worth of entries, started cracking up! You know what I wrote about? The FOOD!! I dunno..I was obsessed with the food on that trip! Every single journal entry, I wrote in detail what we ate! Must have been all that walking we did. Everything tasted so damned good!
    I didn't start a journal until I was in my late 20's. It's mostly a place where I can write down things that are bothering me. Sometimes I write funny things my boys say, or jot down a memory from my childhood. I don't write every day. Probably at least 3 days/week. And I write mostly in the afternoon, when my 3 yr. old is taking his nap. I go lie in bed too, and relax and write, then sometimes take a little snooze myself. I don't keep my journals, except for select pages here and there.

I faithfully kept a journal through junior high, HS, and college. Some time after that too. I stopped twice. Both times because the significant other in my life at the time took it upon himself to read my private thoughts. It felt as though my privacy were invaded and it scared me off. It's funny, my sister and I were talking about this over the weekend, because she did the same thing, except our mother was the culprit in her case. I've taken up the journal again recently, because it's been a really difficult time in my life and I need a place to vent. I tend to turn to journalling only when things are going badly, I've noticed. Too bad, because it would have been nice to have some sort of record of all of the great times in my life, too. ah well!

I've kept journals on and off since I was about 7 or 8, actually I don't know at what age since my oldest journal has that big kid handwriting. I lost faith in journals when my mother opened my journal and found some really personal information about me and confronted me about it, if you can call that a confrontation. Basically, she used the information in my journal, knocked me to the ground with it, and she and my dad verbally kicked me over and over again after I was naked out of the shower in my towel. I have written a couple of pages since, but nothing you could ever call a journal.

I've kept a journal since the 4th grade. I would draw, write down song lyrics, whatever was meaningful to me at the time. I had about 15 journals that I destroyed right after I had my daughter. I decided I never wanted anyone to read them. I don't regret it, but I do wish I had written down a few things before I trashed them.
    Now I have a LJ that I use more as a social thing than anything else. Just recently I've started a private LJ that's for me only. I miss having an actual journal, but I fear that if I used one now it would either be found & colored or used against me.

I so badly want to get into this; but I don't think that I have the patience because I get easily frustrated. I absolutely love the journal/books of Sabrina Ward Harrison. You might have heard of her Spilling Open, which is what got me hooked. I would love to create such random rantings; but I get frustrated if I don't have lines to write on.

I do have an addiction though, I buy all of the cheap blank books from Barnes & Noble/Borders/etc. that are like 2" thick. I figure one day I'll actually have something to write about and be able to pass those onto my kids.

I've kept a journal all my life... well, since i could write.

The earliest one i kept was from 8th grade - i was in Greece for the year w/ my folks during the gulf war. I'll save this one forever, even though i was a complete wacko at 13...

I go through spurts of writing every day... but mostly I write at least once a week. I need to get back into the habit of writing at least for 5 minutes a day... I'm more sane & more creative when I do that.

Lately I've been slowly filling up an unlined large moleskine journal with more visual-style journalling, collage & sketching.

How to journal? Um... not sure how to answer this one. I've always just written when i have stuff to write about. I use my written journal to get things off my chest. I think through problems much more clearly when they're written down.

It's important to have a journal & writing implements that inspire you. If a plain ol' bic pen doesn't excite you, buy a pen you like writing with. I used to use Fountain Pens exclusively - even dip fountian pens (not while out & about mind you) - when journalling. I HAVE to have good paper. If it's not good paper, i won't want to write. Moleskine journals (you can find 'em at most bookstores) have wonderful smooth beige-y paper - lined, unlined, gridded, they even have storyboard & music journals.

and most of all: experiment... it's your journal. write, draw, doodle, scribble, scratch out entire paragraphs... :)

I write my journal for my boyfriend and that's helped me keep up with one. It's also brought us closer together.

I found my journal from the 4th grade and it was fun (and slightly sad) to read. Basically all I did and do now is write about what's going on in that moment: what show I'm watching/music i'm listening to/what's going on in the background. Usually that leads to a tangent (This song reminds of... or I forgot how funny this movie was, I saw it with...).

The best thing to do is sit there and write about anything. Write about not having much to write about. Write about not knowing what to write about!

I've had a journal as long as I can remember, either on paper or online. No matter what I do, my brother winds up finding my ones I bring hoem with me or my online ones. So I just keep my most secret thoughts in a journal that NEVER leaves my side (except at work, where it's locked in a file cabinet). I don't write all that often, but I always feel better when I do. You can tell that I'm bored at work or am procrastinating on my quilting when I have multiple entries in a day. I often post what I did each day in my blog, then save anything that could ever, possibly be embarassing when my brother stumbles upon it, in my journal. I've started to collect things when I go places, even stupid stuff like a card from a restaurant I went to in my own town. IT's a nice recolation of the mundane, I guess.

I have a bunch of journals, all going at the same time. One is like a day planner, so I only have about 5 lines for each day (I mostly write my favourite song lyrics in there). Then I have a traditional journal (Dear Diary,) which has drawings in it as well. I also keep a livejournal, and a "poetry/prose" book, which often directly reflects my 'daily happenings'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads