Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Journaling

Journaling

Hope this is the correct forum but I'm wondering if and how you journal. What purpose does your journal serve? Do you write in it a set time every day? Is it more a recounting of events or a means to process?

I always wished I kept a journal and am starting to make an altered book/journal. While I know that they are personal to unique to each writer, I was hoping for guidance and inspiration from more experienced journalers!

Thanks.

2. # ADS

I have journaled on and off since 13 years old. I always kept them in composition notebooks because they were heavy-duty and the pages won't fall out. So now i have a stack about thigh-high of notebooks full of my life. I never forced myself to keep up with it every day, just anytime i felt the hankering. Sometimes i won't journal for a month or two (usually when i'm engrossed in a new relationship, month two or three... the first month, i'm gushing). I tried online journaling once before, and currently, but it'sjust not feeling right. I think i have to go back to plain ol' pen and paper. You can't do things like collage a page of an online journal with words you cut out of a magazine, or cut out and paste a college newspaper comic strip into an online journal. It's not... i don't know... home-y enough... not personal enough. On the other hand, my boyfriend has kept a live-journal since 2002, and still journals regularly to this day (although he just recently archived all of the thousands of entries onto his laptop after much pestering from me... i just would not be able to trust technology with my life).

These days i keep a blog as a journal/means of communicating my feeeeelings with my SO. Turns out i have a nasty habit of internalizing irrational fears, etc, and it's been a miracle of an awesome idea. I can tell him anything via the wonders of the intertron... problem is, once i write it down on the net, i don't want to write it down a second time on paper. I do miss paper.

-Jera

i have kept a journal on and off since i was about 8 (the first one was a hello kitty with a lock where i practiced my swear words, which of course i was NOT allowed to use out loud! subversive.).

There is no rhyme or reason to what sort of book I write in (usually just one that i fall in love with in a store). For awhile I only wrote in my journal with a fountain pen, but they are really messy to carry around.

My favorite journals have been ones where I've been on a trip or an adventure, and drew little pictures, or pasted in foreign currency or ticket stubs-- tangible memories. I love the entries that go through an entire day in detail-- there is so much that one forgets as the weeks and months pass, and well-journaled experiences can bring you right back there.

Lately I've been very lax in jouraling, and busy writing more about my internal life than anything that goes on, which is good for what it is, but not as much fun to read later!

I once went to a talk where a writer/artist passed around her journal from a trip to Europe, it was AMAZING-- she had brought a small set of watercolors, glue, etc with her and made this book into a work of art with her collages, paintings, sketches and thoughts. I aspire to that, even though I barely get down a 1/2 page in a month these days!

Whew, long post, sorry.

I journal like mad. I journaled off and on from grades four to eight, and I've been journaling steadily since then. I don't mean "steadily" as in every day; I just mean when I have something to say, minus the months-long gaps that I had in my early journals. I have online journals, but those are pretty frivolous. In my real journals, I write about everything. Sometimes I don't write for a week or so (usually not any longer, though). Once in a while I write multiple entries in a day. Right now most of my entries say something along the lines of "I'M ABOUT TO GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE ANYMORE!!!"

I always intend to make trip journals, but it never really works out for me. I have a ton of ticket stubs, money, etc. from trips I've taken, but they never find their way in. I did write a lot when I was abroad, though, so it's all still there. Seriously, someday I intend to make scrapbooks of all the souvenirs I've kept.

I'm really bad about bottling up my feelings and refusing to tell people when I'm not doing well, so my journals have been so good for me over the years. I can't imagine anyone else ever reading them. It's one of the greatest fears I have. I want them burned when I die.

Holy crap, for real... there are things in my journals that... i don't care how much someone misses me when i'm gone, and how nostalgic... there are things best left unsaid. I see movies like bridges of madison county where people are rooting around reading dead peoples journals and i am thinking, no... that could never be me.

I also depend very heavily on my journal for an outlet. I, too have a hard time telling people what's wrong. In fact, i've noticed that the lapses i have in my journaling coincide with the points in time when i have someone in my life that i can trust with my feelings. They also coincide with the times in my life i'd rather not think too much about stuff. Sometimes i'll be in a situation that i want to believe is good, and deep down i know its not, but i'd rather remain ignorant... writing in my journal brings so, so many things to the surface.

-Jera

I'm an artist so my journals are full of sketches, collages, quirky quotes, bits and pieces of stories I've read, lyrics, and illustrated journal entries. The pages tend to fan out oddly but I'm satisfied with them.

I think I have a total of four completed journals and I have three I'm working on now. I am always left clear-headed and in a good mood after I've done something in them.

Miru

I have tried to keep journals all my life, but most of them no longer exist...because I have destroyed them... I start, get all interested and then decide I hate the way I write so I rip the pages up. I just can't help myself. I am trying again at the moment , more as a therapeutic outlet, but also as a place to just stuff around, draw and stuff for myself. Make something that isn't to sell or display. I wonder how far I'll get this time.

I have tried to keep journals all my life, but most of them no longer exist...because I have destroyed them... I start, get all interested and then decide I hate the way I write so I rip the pages up. I just can't help myself. I am trying again at the moment , more as a therapeutic outlet, but also as a place to just stuff around, draw and stuff for myself. Make something that isn't to sell or display. I wonder how far I'll get this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssalicious
    I can't imagine anyone else ever reading them. It's one of the greatest fears I have. I want them burned when I die.
    I started my fist diary when I was 6 - not very regularly, but I wrote about dreams I had of Casper and stuff at school.

When I was in my teens I started keeping a journal - my own private space to vent, relate events, try to figure stuff out. I looked forward to writing in it - it was like this magical place I went where I could be 100% real. I would paste rose petals and pictures I cut from magazines, doodle, whatever. As years rolled on I had a whole box of them - all full of very, very private stuff. They were always something of a burden to me - trying to find a place where I could hide them where they wouldn't be discovered by a roomate or boyfriend.

When I got engaged, I destroyed them all the weekend before my fiance moved in with me. Funny thing is, we broke up like a month later! No regrets though. To me the important part was the process, and I hated worrying about those damn things.

This thread reminded me how much I loved that though - so I just picked out a notebook & I'm going to take it up again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads