Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I'm dying to re-read Joan Aiken's books, because apparently they're parody, and I missed that as a kid.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by dalva
    Anything by Francesca Lia Block. I read nearly all of her books a few years ago, and would have loved them as YAF.

When I was a kid, I read whatever I could get my hands on, which meant reading my mom's book collection. Sacajewa, Clan of the Cave Bear, etc. Books which could have been considered "too advanced" for a 5th grade reader. Relating to the point that Athena made, I think that things that aren't relevent to our life experience at certain ages is just fine. I think that His Dark Materials would have been just as entertaining, it just wouldn't have the depth of seriousness to a young mind as an adult mind. Does that make sense?
    Alright, well, I am a high school student right now, so keep that in mind. I think that it is important for kids to pick up and try books that are too difficult or books that they wouldn't "get" at that age... it's part of the process of finding out what works for you, and maturing. I have an ongoing debate with my brother over this. He insists that if you read a book to young, it spoils it, but I have always believed that you should be able to reread books again and get more out of them everytime.

For instance, I read Jane Austen first in third grade. Of course I didn't understand everything! How could I have? But I certainly enjoyed her work, even at that age, and I reread it constantly, finding new intricacies every time.

Alright, my rant is over. But by the way, I don't think of Catcher in the Rye as a children's book, or To Kill A Mockingbird.

Re: YA books

Quote Originally Posted by sugar cookie
    I have read and really like The Giver by Lois Lowry and all the georgia Nicholson series. I hear those will be movies sometime soon. I hope they hold up!
    If you read The Giver (my favorite book of all time) you should check out Gathering Blue and Messenger, too. They're companion books to The Giver... I don't like them nearly as well, but they're still very good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads