Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What character are you most like and why?

Is there a character from a book that you absolutely identify with, someone you were obsessed with while reading about them and even after closing the book you felt that "person" was somehow living inside you? Was there a character that changed your life and you wish you could talk with them daily, or maybe you dedicated a journal to them, with each entry starting like this: Dear "..." ? Tell us who you identify with and why.

2. # ADS

My reply

Since I started this topic, I'll be the first to answer:
    Fanny Price from Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

She's a loner, a romantic, a writer, and no one expects her to know anything, yet she is the most intelligent person in that household. (Not that I am super intelligent, but I wish I was as sharp as she is.) She secretly loves Edmund all her life and knows somehow that things will always work out best for her if she waits patiently and prudently. She sees through the materialism of the society around her and avoids it at all costs.

I always thought I was a lot like Enid Coleslaw from Ghost World--but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I've yet to read a book where I really relate to the charectors. As close as I can get, I'd say Astrid from White Oleander.

Let's see- when I was a bit younger it was Cassandra from I Capture the Castle (the book, not the movie, in which I think she is not at all the same person), and Janet from Pamela Dean's Tam Lin (looking back, I realise that was totally wishful thinking, given that she was much more level-headed than I ever was).

But it has been awhile since I've really related to a character who is my age and situation-- mostly b/c they only show up in chick lit books with exaggerated Issues. I quite like Maisie Dobbs, even though I am not very much like her-- at least she is much more calm and professional, plus seems to have some understated psychic abilities...

Well, there are lots of characters I love and aspire to be like in some way - Jane Eyre, Atticus Finch, Elizabeth Bennett, Meg Murry (Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quartet books), etc. In terms of the characters that I think are reallymost like me, the best example I can think of is probably Lucy Honeychurch from E.M. Forester's A Room with a View. She doesn't have the fierce independence of Jane or Elizabeth, but deep down she's pretty stubborn, and once she knows what's in her heart, she pursues it, unwilling to sacrifice her happiness for propriety's sake. I think I'm a lot like that, for better or worse ;). Other characters I identify with are Charlie from Steven Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower, JJ from Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down, and Princess Amy from M.M. Kaye's The Ordinary Princess.

Longwinded Alison

Number one is Anne Shirley, or at least she's the character I'd most like to be like. I had a journal where I carried on conversations with her. I loved her because she was a hopeless romantic who loved to read & write, and she got Gilbert Blythe in the end.

Jane Eyre, because she's plain, but wickedly smart and Harriet the Spy because I always wanted to be a spy.

Oh, and sadly, Bridget Jones...

Quote Originally Posted by kittensrme
    I always thought I was a lot like Enid Coleslaw from Ghost World--but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
    Darnit, I was gonna pick Enid! She's "too smart for her own good" but has the kind of smarts few people understand, so she doesn't interact well with others. A lifetime of being misunderstood this way has made her inconsiderate in the literal sense of the word: It simply doesn't occur to her that anything she does could possibly affect anyone else. She is an innocent who brings misfortune on herself and others, not maliciously but through sheer na´vetÚ.

In the end she's left alone with no direction, no goals - she knows only what she wants to get away from, but no idea what she wants or where she's headed.

Yep, that was me at a younger age - and I'm certainly not over it yet. I love Enid. I dressed as her last Halloween. Much like her "punk day", no one knew it was supposed to be a costume; they just thought I was dressed funny.

Someday when I have an office job again, my Little Enid doll will be the first thing I put on my desk.

Harriet, in Donna Tartt's The Little Friend. I'm much older than Harriet, but I still retain many of her qualities: impulsive, brave (often foolishly so), jumping to conclusions without all the evidence in place, seeing grand patterns in life, wanting to have adventures more than anything else.

Re: What character are you most like and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Chebang!
    Is there a character from a book that you absolutely identify with, someone you were obsessed with while reading about them and even after closing the book you felt that "person" was somehow living inside you? Was there a character that changed your life and you wish you could talk with them daily, or maybe you dedicated a journal to them, with each entry starting like this: Dear "..." ? Tell us who you identify with and why.
    well, none quite to that extent but the one who comes to mind straightaway is Levin from Anna Karenina - I am not of course a 19th century Russian man, but there were just some things he said/thought that made me shudder with recognition.

Others that I identified with were de Quincey, of Opium Eater fame, and Roquentin of Nausea. Like, really powerfully felt attached to them when reading.

Don't know why they're all men.

Not books, but TV - I don't know if anyone saw the Book Group? It was on C4 here I think, don't know if it was shown in the States. Anyway the American lead girl on that I was scarily like. You know, in a really bad cringy way, like 'oh my god, that's so sad. oh my god, i'm just like that' kind of way.

I always wanted to be like Pippi Longstocking and Little My. But I am nothing like either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads