View Poll Results: When I purchase books...

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...I'm looking for the best deal. I don't mind buying from the big retailers.

21 46.67%
  • ...I go to independent stores, period.

1 2.22%
  • ...I try to help out the little guy (though I've had moments of weakness at Borders, Amazon.com, etc.).

23 51.11%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I love the library, but when I need to own a book NOW, I go to Malaprops, the local indie bookstore. My husband and I actually paid FULL PRICE for our two copies of the new HP. That's right, we paid sixty bucks. I like to think of it as a donation to the city.

If I have a bit more time on my hands, I either browse the used bookstores or buy from half.com, eBay, or the used books from Amazon. I try my best not to go to B&N, Borders, etc. or buy new on Amazon.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysteph
    I love the library, but when I need to own a book NOW, I go to Malaprops, the local indie bookstore. My husband and I actually paid FULL PRICE for our two copies of the new HP. That's right, we paid sixty bucks. I like to think of it as a donation to the city.

If I have a bit more time on my hands, I either browse the used bookstores or buy from half.com, eBay, or the used books from Amazon. I try my best not to go to B&N, Borders, etc. or buy new on Amazon.
    The local feminist bookstore in Madison, despite severe financial problems, is donating 20% of its HP sales to the local library system. It's almost enough to make me actually buy it, but I'm still too cheap!

I haven't had the opportunity to check out many of the indie bookstores around here, probably because they all seem to be out of my way! Besides, w/ kids in tow, I just can't deal with trying to peruse stuff like that!
    If it's something I need for Home schooling, I'll usually go to B&N, since they seem to have the best selection of educational stuff. (I refuse to pay the prices at the local teacher's stores.) I used to really love Border's for their clearance book selection, but our local Border's hasn't had much that's caught my eye in the past several years. Anyway, I have a running list of books I'd like, so sometimes I'll take my list and a coupon printed off from Border's newsletter, and go pick up a few that way. I've bought from Amazon and also from Dover's website when they have good sales. Just kind of depends on what I need/want, and where I feel like going.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysteph
    I love the library, but when I need to own a book NOW, I go to Malaprops, the local indie bookstore.
    Sorry to vere off topic, but...Malaprops! I went to college at Mars Hill and spent many a Saturday/Sunday afternoon loitering at Malaprops. It's my favorite indie bookstore in this wide world.

Back on topic:

I am a big fan of the library and mostly buy used books at thrift stores. When I need a new book, I usually go to Ivy's, Labyrinth, the Westsider or the Strand (the latter two have great used racks, too). On occasion, I go the B&N route, but only in a pinch.

I've been trading my used books on http://www.frugalreader.com/. It is a service (free) where you list your books, people can request them and when you ship them, you get credits to request a book from another user. The selection isn't amazing, too much bodise-ripping romance novels for my taste, but my best friend and I are on a mission to spread the word and improve the selection!

I've been trading my used books on www.frugalreader.com. It is a service (free) where you list your books, people can request them and when you ship them, you get credits to request a book from another user. The selection isn't amazing, too much bodise-ripping romance novels for my taste, but my best friend and I are on a mission to spread the word and improve the selection!

this is like the Wal-Mart discussion for me -- there aren't any good indie bookstores around here, my only options are the big ones or secondhand bookstores that are kind of overpriced.

so most of my ordering is online -- my online book clubs, Amazon, and eBay. sometimes I go to the used bookstores around here, but not very often, partially because of the price thing and partially because it's hard to take a toddler into a used bookstore without becoming a frazzled mess.

Quote Originally Posted by coreeb
    I've been trading my used books on www.frugalreader.com. It is a service (free) where you list your books, people can request them and when you ship them, you get credits to request a book from another user. The selection isn't amazing, too much bodise-ripping romance novels for my taste, but my best friend and I are on a mission to spread the word and improve the selection!
    Thanks for the link. I signed up, requested 2 books and just shipped out the first request from my list. I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    this is like the Wal-Mart discussion for me -- there aren't any good indie bookstores around here, my only options are the big ones or secondhand bookstores that are kind of overpriced.

so most of my ordering is online -- my online book clubs, Amazon, and eBay. sometimes I go to the used bookstores around here, but not very often, partially because of the price thing and partially because it's hard to take a toddler into a used bookstore without becoming a frazzled mess.
    For online bookshopping, I love Powell's. They have new books and discounted used options, and great articles, reviews, etc. on their site.

I buy most of mine from my local used bookstore. There's also an independant store that specializes in science fiction and fantasy that I go to sometimes. Occasionally, I buy from Borders or Barnes & Noble too. Lately, I do a lot of book trades online and I love to buy books from half.com (but their shipping costs are getting so high).

Half.com, Half-Price Books, or a local indie store called Grapevine...otherwise, I go to the library or read stuff for free online. :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads