View Poll Results: When I purchase books...

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...I'm looking for the best deal. I don't mind buying from the big retailers.

21 46.67%
  • ...I go to independent stores, period.

1 2.22%
  • ...I try to help out the little guy (though I've had moments of weakness at Borders, Amazon.com, etc.).

23 51.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by revafisheye
    For online bookshopping, I love Powell's. They have new books and discounted used options, and great articles, reviews, etc. on their site.
    Thanks for the rec! I'll have to try them out.

On another good note, I tried the used bookstore I usually dog, and found some pretty good stuff. The reason I dislike them is they charge exactly half of the retail price with no discount even if the book is on its very last legs, not a smooth place left on the binding, cover bent up, whatever. But I think I've found the trick -- when I went this weekend, I looked for relatively new books from my want list, and only accepted those with minimum shelf wear and good pages, and I think I came away with some good stuff.

Plus, they're organized really well; even the thousands of romances (this store deals mostly in trades, I think) were pretty organized. So I'll be going to them for some stuff from now on, too.

2. # ADS

Unless I have to buy something for educational reasons, or if I want something particularly, I buy my books exclusively from library sales and charity shops. Library sales = 10p for a paperback fiction book!

Here is a site that I joined. It's free for now, but may charge in the future. I got a couple of books from there already, for free!

http://www.paperbackswap.com/

I also forgot to mention http://www.bookcrossing.com/home where you can hunt for books locally.

i think i mentioned this in another thread, but it bears repeating: alibris (http://www.alibris.com) is a great indie-seller-unifying tool. you can search all over the country for everything from new and used books to signed copies and first editions; it's kind of like an amazon for independent bookstores. it's also great digital window-shopping for rare book nuts (first edition sherlock holmes, signed by sir arthur conan doyle? yes, please).

Lulu.com has tons of self-published books.

Where I Find Bargains..

I love Barnes and Noble as much as the next bookworm, but I have found a lot of new releases that usually cost almost $20, for $5 a my local thrift store. You might want to look up your nearest thrift shops and stop in. You can find a lot of great old books as well as new stuff for really, really low prices.

It's interesting to read this old thread to see how much book-buying has changed in the years this web site has been up. Many of the bookstores mentioned in earlier posts are sadly out of business now. And Amazon has emerged as a behemoth of book selling, both physical books and e-books.

How comfortable are folks with e-books? I like the fact that you can download 2 or 3 in a minute and go off on a vacation trip with just the e-reader in your bags, not several large, bulky books.

omgg i totally just download the ebook online, mostly they're free. I have almost the entire harry potter and charlaine harris' dead series

like salvation army right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads