View Poll Results: Do you write in your books?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, constantly!

4 7.27%
  • Sometimes, if there's something important

35 63.64%
  • No, never, books are sacred!

16 29.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you write in your books?

Whenever I look back into books I read a long time ago, I'm incredibly glad that I wrote in them and underlined important passages. Though I think I might remember where stuff I liked was, I never do! I used to write in my books all the time... need to start doing it more!

2. # ADS

i'm with you, h. i LOVE seeing my old comments and marks in books. i get really het up when i'm reading and so i used to write things like "gah!!!" in the margin when something shocking happened.

if i don't immediately write down a passage i love, i forget where it is, so i try to either write it down immediately, or mark it in the book. i do this less now that i haven't been in school for years!

i sometimes write in books for class. however, i hate when people do it before i do.

at one point someone had written something so ridiculous that i stopped what i was doing and wrote in the margin, "Who the HELL had this book before me?" just so i'd always remember that there are people who take weirder notes than i do.

i never write in books, unless i'm correcting a mistake in a textbook so i don't teach myself something wrong. i hate writing in books, i hate highlighting, and most of all, i hate other people's crappy/inane/weird notes and highlighting. ugh, buying a used textbook and finding out that the person before you was a rabid highlight-er is so obnoxious.

Dealing with other people's inane notes is definitely unpleasant. I no longer buy secondhand books with writing in them, because it just got too annoying! To me, the purpose of writing in books is for my own future reference, because I keep any book that I've written in. I don't understand why someone would write in a book and then give it away...!

I write in my own books quite regularly, but i would never write in one i was going to sell/was someone elses. I tend to underline more than anything, though i also write notes if i see something that links to something else I have read elsewhere (usually a brief ref. to the other work). Sometimes i also take note of things that seem important, or slightly odd, for example recently i took note of the number of times the main characters were in danger, and the number of times someone tried to woo one of them, mainly because it seemed to be happening so many times.

Sometimes one of my friends writes/ draws pictures in books that I lend her, however they tend to be amusing and generally are pretty relevant to the passage.

I wrote in my textbooks in school and I used to write in novels I was reading for school - which I now regret because now I won't go back and read them. I never enjoyed having to rip a book apart for a school project and reading something underlined/highlighted just reminds me of that.

Only with pencil.

And only if I'm reading something for school.

And even then, I still hear in my head my mother and my elementary school librarian lecturing me on the proper care of books: "Books are our friends. Don't write in them."

only in pencil, and only w/ nonfiction. usually if i'm reading something for school/work. even then, i don't necessarily use it. i'd rather mark important stuff with a post-it so i remember where it is.

I actually really love finding university books with writing all over them. I ignore the writing for the first read, and then go back and flip through the notes to see if I missed anything big.

As for me, I'm trying to write in the margins more often - I figure it will keep me actively thinking & responding throughout the book. Plus, I think it would be kind of fun to re-read a book in ten years, and see if my opinions are the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads