Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Reader's block"

Do you go thru periods where you can't force yourself to read anything beyond a magazine, even if you have something that would normally tempt you on your bedside table? I have a few books I was previously dying to read - including the new HP - and I can't settle down and focus. I used to go thru short periods of reader's block when I was younger - lately they seem to last longer.

It starts to feel like something else on the to do list - and I don't want reading to feel like that! Anyone else go thru this?

2. # ADS

absolutely. sometimes, i'm just not interested. maybe i'm restless or too tired. and sometimes, it's that i'm just not in the mood for the books i have, but too cheap to buy another book. reading books takes some concentration, and you don't always have the energy for that. or, you have too much energy to force yourself to sit still for that long. readers block = totally normal. just let it flow. :-)

all the time. last year, the whole year was like that, and I had a month of it earlier this year -- in May, I think. most of my periods of no-reading are due to stress, and stressing about reading nothing but fluff doesn't help, so I've learned to just ride it out.

just enjoy reading the magazines. it'll come back sooner or later. :)

I've had it happen a few times. I have a chronic illness and when I have severe flare-ups, I can't concentrate enough to read a novel. Sometimes I read short stories or young adult books when I'm feeling blocked, but sometimes I just can't read anything.

I had a lot of trouble setting down to read HP too! Sometimes I think reader's block can happen because you KNOW deep down that you have tons of things to do and if you sit down to read something (especially Harry Potter) you won't do anything else...damn conscience....

it happens to me too! especially when i have just finished something particularly great, and i feel like the next book could never compare. i usually give myself a week to get over the last one before i can begin a new one. books are like boyfriends!

I had reader's block for years because of my lack of concentration due to auto immune thyroid disease. Couldn't read anything more complicated than a magazine.
    Once I started feeling better w/ meds, I started reading again. I've kept track of the books I've read, since then, and I've been able to read 15 books in the past year! Yay!!
    That was with breaks in between once in a while to work on other things, like I'm doing now.

I had a *really* hard time starting to read for pleasure after getting out of school. I was so used to HAVING to read, I wasn't convinced it would be fun when I initiated it (which of course I know it is). Also, I sometimes feel like it's too much of a committment of my time - like, say, putting in a 3 hour movie - that once I pick it up, I had better be willing to read for awhile, or else I shouldn't pick it up, and so I sometimes don't. Not sure why I feel that way. I will also often feel guilty about reading instead of doing something more obviously productive: cleaning, paying bills, etc. For all those reasons I get readers block. Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm feeling that way now! I just don't want to read any book beyond browsing yarn catalogs, knitting magazines, celeb news, etc.

I've also had reading blocks after reading something great. Also, I used to be a writing tutor and it was always hard to switch from proofreading to reading for pleasure. I'd get thrown out of the story every time I found typos or awkward grammar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads