Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what did you read in August 2005?

Last month of unemployment, summer vacation from school, and the mad dash to finish as much "fun" reading as I could before classes start:

• Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer - Pretty good. Certainly no Harry Potter or Dark Materials, but enjoyable.

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson - HATED it. Don't get me wrong, I love Stephenson, but I hated this book so much that it even makes me hate his old stuff in hindsight.

Y the Last Man: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (writer) and Pia Guerra (artist) - Yes, I count graphic novels and trade paperbacks ;P Excellent series about what happens when all men but one (and his male monkey) die in a mysterious plague.

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia by Greg Rucka (writer) and J.G. Jones & Wade von Grawbadger (illustrators) - Very nicely done, nice exploration of Batman and Wonder Woman's relationship.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers - AMAZING and heartwrenching, I still tear up thinking about it.

Gout: The Patrician Malady by Roy Porter and G. S. Rousseau - Excellent book, much better than I thought, but suffered from poor author collaboration/editing. You could clearly tell who wrote what and it distrupted the flow.

The Deadly Truth: A History of Disease in America by Gerald N. Grob - Another excellent history of medicine book, the absolute best survey of the topic I've read actually.

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss - Didn't like it, didn't learn much, and often felt insulted.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling - Reread. Can't wait to see what they are doing in the movie this November!

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain - OK. Wanted more "underbelly" and less "colorful" anecdotes.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - Well deserved of its praise. Like many great books, films, and songs it is odd to read now and think of everything that has imitated it.

Feminism is for Everybody by bell hooks - Lovely. Now I have a book to recommend whenever someone wants to "learn about those man-hating feminists."

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling - Reread.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling - Just finished it this morning! I know, the last person on earth, but, hey, I was 798th at the library! Opinion? Honestly, I think it's the best one in the series. Certainly the most well written.

Off to read the Harry Potter thread now!!

2. # ADS

well, i can tell you that the only thing i've read (and not much of) this entire month is guns, germs, and steel by jared diamond. i like it, but it's one i have to really concentrate on. plus, i'm busier at work, so i have less reading time in general. what i've read so far is pretty fascinating. i hope i finish it in september!

august read:

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer - This was a fun, light read (I didn't read it in Old English), but I have a sinking suspicion that my translation of the book wasn't nearly as raunchy as it was supposed to be.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers - A few people on my lj friends list were reading this, and I remembered how much I enjoyed reading it my senior year of high school. I reread it and loved it even more. I'm a sucker for southern fiction.

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez - Whoa. This was the most urgent, fast-paced narrative I've read in awhile. And so fun. I was just dying with how much I loved this book. Seriously, I couldn't have found a better book to occupy my time with this summer.

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard - I almost didn't buy this book, but something told me to. It was odd reading it because it's something that belongs in another era, right there with the Transcendentalists. What a sense of humor about nature, which is nice in a world that obsessively praises Robert Frost.

Killing Rage by bell hooks - I started this book at the beginning of the summer and then took a break to read sixteen other books or so. I picked it up and finished it in two days (I was already halfway through), which is hard to do with theory or essay books.

august I didn't finish a single book... I started:

Mao's Last Dancer, Cunxin Li - autobiography of this dancer who grew up as a peasant boy in Communist China and was taken to Mao's dance academy. I started this on someone else's suggestion and I just can't get into it, despite being fascinated with China and locing dance. I feel bad for not liking it more...

The Wall, a collection of short stories by Jean-Paul Sartre - I just read the first one, which is about a man about to be executed. Made me walk around for a couple of days looking at people thinking, 'you're all just people who are going to die'. Do like Sartre, should read some more of this.

Angels and Insects, A.S.Byatt - Only finished the first of two connected novellas. Enjoyed all the discussions of theology and Darwinism. And the main character is interested in ants and insects so there's all this stuff about insects, which was cool. And nice writing, though the narrative bounces along a little jauntily I found. Just found the ending a little weird.

The Lexus and the Olive Tree, Thomas L. Friedman - About globalisation as the new dominant structure. I'm finding it interesting but quite annoying with all this arrogance and some arguments I find just ridiculous. But that's good, as it lets me develop my own counter-arguments.

Maybe the longer days and rain will make me pick up the reading pace for September...

I like murder mysteries and legal-eagle type stories:

SIGNS IN THE BLOOD by Vicki Lane---wonderful storyline, one of my favorites this summer!

ASHES by H. Howland---this was overly graphic and the supernatural twist kinda disappointing.

THE HUNDRETH MAN by Jack Kerley---I liked the story and characters but the science of solving crime was barely hit on.

FROZEN by J. Bonansigna----this was another ancient supernatural evil curse, kinda hard to swallow.

LIVE BAIT by PJ Tracy---Loved the characters, but would've been better if I'd read the first novel, Monkeewrench.

GRIMM MEMORIALS by P. Gates----gross! sicko stuff. I lost interest half way thru.

OCEAN OF FIRE---didn't know this was a romance novel, I thought it was a murder mystery. And turns out there's some supernatural crap here too. Prob won't finish that one.

DREAM COUNTRY by Luanne Rice----just started this novel.

I've really slowed down on my reading...

All I read was Death's Acre about the Body Farm in Tennessee.

I started A Tree Grows in Brooklyn though. I'm almost halfway through now.

It takes me forever

but I finished reading

Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross. It's a good historical read and has some juicy insight into the early catholic church and anti-female attitude circa 1100 AD. I signed the author's guestbook and she e-mailed me back and commented on my specific entry. I thought that was so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea
    I started A Tree Grows in Brooklyn though. I'm almost halfway through now.
    That is one of my all-time favorites!

I read Persepolis #1: graphic novel about a girl growing up in Iran, interesting and educational, looking forward to #2

I started reading Atonement by Ian somebody-or-other and I just couldn't get into it. I was disappointed because I'd heard such good things.

I reread Memoirs of a Geisha, and once again it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by craftytricks
    I started reading Atonement by Ian somebody-or-other and I just couldn't get into it. I was disappointed because I'd heard such good things.
    I had the same experience with it. I was listening on tape and when the tape got messed up a few tapes in I didn't feel so bad just returning it to the library.

I read all of Aimee Bender's Books:

An Invisible Sign of my Own

The Girl in the Flammable Skirt

Willful Creatures

She's so great... also featured in this month's Venus magazine if anyone's interested. Willful Creatures was just published in August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads