Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Writing to a writer

Have you ever written to an author that you like? What did you write? Did you receive a reply?

2. # ADS

what a great thread. hmmm. i thought about writing to jeanette winterson. her writing is so juicy and alive, but i've been too shy.

oh man, jeanette, for sure! i would feel too sheepish to write her, she seems so scholarly. and famous.

i wrote a poet i really like, naomi shihab nye. she wrote me back within a week or two! on this great kitschy postcard. it was awesome.

my friend's mom write michael cunningham after reading and loving the hours. he wrote her back!

i figure it's just nice to let them know they are appreciated. sometimes i wonder, out of all the people who admire a writer's work, probably not many take the time to tell them so directly, so maybe it is nice to let them know! maybe everyone is too scared to write writers and they get sad and lonely and feel unloved. the ones that haven't succumbed to pompous celebrity, that is!

Quote Originally Posted by TuffJess
    i wrote a poet i really like, naomi shihab nye. she wrote me back within a week or two! on this great kitschy postcard. it was awesome.
    She's great!

The only poet who I've ever written to was Denise Duhamel. I was fifteen and probably sounded like an idiot, but she was sweet about it. Hee.

One of my favorite poets isn't famous, but it's still just as intimidating to go up to the person and say, "Hello, your writing is fabulous."

Funny - I just realised that I have actually written an author before: in high school I wrote an essay about some aspects of a local writer’s works, and after I graduated I sent him the essay because I figured if I were a writer, I would love reading analyses of my writing (albeit from a high schooler...). He sent me a signed copy of his recently re-released poetry book as thanks! I didn’t remember that when I started the thread.

I am planning to write to another author to thank him for something he wrote that influenced me, and it feels so strange to address someone as Mr _______, when you have read several books by him and feel that you ”know” him! It’s difficult to know how formal one should be..

I wrote to Lorrie Moore once to say thanks for her books, which I love the most. She didn't write back but I guess I don't care that much. I wasn't expecting it and I hadn't asked her any questions or anything.

It was a cool handmade card that I sent too.

Lorrie Moore should have written back.

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    One of my favorite poets isn't famous, but it's still just as intimidating to go up to the person and say, "Hello, your writing is fabulous."
    I've written to (or emailed) a lot of very un-famous academic writers (aka, random professors at other schools) whose work I really like -- often to clarify things, or ask about citations. Almost always they're really, really nice, but I get so nervous my hands tremble while I type ... and when I see their names in my inbox when they write back my stomach always flip flops.

I've written to a few and have been surprised by who has and hasn't responded. About six months ago I wrote one author who's humorous book helped me through a very difficult time and I still haven't heard anything back. Once when I was in college I wrote a more famous author, never expected a response and got a very nice handwritten letter in return in less than 3 months. You never know!

I always imagine that the author likes receiving mail, that they don't see it as annoying or nerdy (even if that's how I feel when writting them the letter). I know if I ever get my work published I'd love to hear from someone I inspired or someone who enjoyed my work.

i've actually written letters to a number of authors, but i haven't sent a single one because i get too nervous. (xuli, i totally feel the shaky fingers) i tend to start letters after i finish most books, then rewrite them for a few weeks, and then just save them with the intention of eventually sending them out.

my mom, though, wrote to daphne dumaurier (who is her favorite author) and received an amazing letter in return encouraging my mom to pursue writing and thanking her and stuff. my mom still has it and pulls it out when she needs inspiration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads