Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used Books

Recently I've been getting into Agatha Christie mysteries, which are turning out to be great used bookstore finds. I haven't seen one on sale for more than $3!

2. # ADS

I look for fantasy sci-fi and horror books usually, particularly Buffy books!

Of course now I will be on the lookout for anything crafty :)

art books! though they're still sometimes expensive used, they can be much cheaper than buying them new. i like library book sales, often at the smaller branches here they don't weed out really nice or out-of-print books to charge more (like many used bookstores do).

I have been trying to GET RID OF my books for years! I have been gleaning them down at least a box or a grocery bag per year and then I donate them to the library!

That being said, I love browsing through the used book bins at the bead shows, or library, or flea markets or garage sales. I look out for books on history, art, anthropology, some sciences, Jungian psychology and books by certain authors. If it's a fiction of SF book for less than a buck I'll buy it and then usually donate it back after I've read it.

If I actually buy a book it means something. It means that I liked it so much I'll read it over or use it as reference. Most of my reading comes out of the library. I just don't have the storage room or extra $$$ to indulge like I used to.

craft books, art books, how to books, poetry by my favorite authors, books on politics and feminism ... if it holds still long enough i'll read it. if it's really good, i'll pass it on to friends. if it's not, i'll donate it.
    portland's a great place for book lovers.

I try to buy any book I'm interested in second hand, simply for financial reasons.

My sister in law has a collection of etiquette and manners guides from lots of different decades, which are fantastic, so I'm always on the lookout for those.

I find looking through collections of 2nd hand books often throws up surprises and quirky things you might not have realised you wanted until you found them. I love that aspect of buying 2nd hand too.

I'm always looking for out of print books by my favorite authors; it's a lot cheaper to buy them at used bookstores than to buy them online from half.com or Amazon. I mostly buy science fiction and fantasy books and I have a pretty large collection of older books from the 60's, 70's, and 80's now.

Lately, I've also been looking for craft books, organization and housekeeping books, and books about buying a house. Once I buy a house, I'm sure I'll be looking for home improvement, DIY, and decorating books too.

Quote Originally Posted by quaisior
    I'm always looking for out of print books by my favorite authors; it's a lot cheaper to buy them at used bookstores than to buy them online from half.com or Amazon. I mostly buy science fiction and fantasy books and I have a pretty large collection of older books from the 60's, 70's, and 80's now.

Lately, I've also been looking for craft books, organization and housekeeping books, and books about buying a house. Once I buy a house, I'm sure I'll be looking for home improvement, DIY, and decorating books too.
    Start looking for those DIY and decorating books now; you will be surprised how many you want to use. Plus, why not decorate where you live now? If you can find "Home Decorating for Dummies" get it. Even new, it is worth the money.

Tomico

I looked for some DIY books tonight, but I didn't see anything interesting. As for decorating where I am, I'm not going to bother. I can't put a hole in the wall without having to get permission first, plus because of health issues, I don't have a huge surplus of energy for decorating. I plan to move as soon as I can, so decorating here might turn out to be a waste of time. I do plan on buying some new lamps and I've gotten nicer curtains and a beautiful futon frame though.

I did find a candlemaking book tonight and I bought my mom a craft business book at the library recently (I already had that particular book).

Decorating doesn't always involve putting a hole in the wall, but this not the spot for that discussion. Good luck and happy planning.

Tomico

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads