Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Used Books

I just pulled a half dozen rarely-used cookbooks off our shelves and donated them to the library. I tell you, I was hyperventilating while I did it. What is it about cookbooks that make it so hard to give them away, even when you don't and/or haven't used them?

2. # ADS

Anthropology books from the 20s and 30s. I love those- I have a couple of first editions. Books on New York City. Really old cookbooks.

Most all of my books are second hand. Not only is it cheaper, it's more of an adventure that way. I go to the used book store or thrift store and scour around, ending up finding authors I've never heard of or old favorites I'd forgotten. I'm much more likely to try someone I've never heard of if it's only a quarter or so. I find that thrift store and/or used book stores are also great for magazines and children's books. I have a smallish collection of children's books from my own childhood and from the thrift store (most of them ones I remember from growing up). Magazines are great for cutting up and getting craft ideas out of, and they're only a nickel to a quarter. Children's books are great to de stress to or read before bed to unwind...or anytime you want to be a kid again.

i haven't gone used book shopping in a while. i miss it! there was this really awesome used book store that i usedto go to up where i grew up all through high school. it is definitely a quest, especially since i work @ a big corporate bookstore, looking through and rummaging and not knowing what you'll find is always a treat....

when i was in high school i used to hunt down first/second editions of VC Andrews books(flowers in the attic). I have all of them (well the older ones, i'm not a huge fan of the newer stuff) except for one.The first printings in mass market/pocket book format, had a double cover that revealed an entire family portrait/ picture , so when you look at it through the front , you just see the main character (always a girl)'s face, and then the picture/portrait would reveal something about the book- (i don't thin kthat made anysense, but whatever)

i also like looking out for old pulp fiction pocket books for framing, more so than reading, old cookbooks (mainly for the kitsch factor, most of the recipes sound unappetizing), and whatever fiction books that sound appealing to read.

I remember those VC Andrews books, Ratti Pillo! While I only read Flowers in the Attic and If There Be Thorns, I had a friend that was really into VC Andrews during our tween/teenage years.

i just got madame bovary by gustave flaunbert, and wuthering heights...can't wait to re-read.

you know that new book smell everyone loves? i love the musty near moldy smell of used books.

that and thrift store smell.

I like used books for general reading, but for text books I must say I prefer new (or at least unmarked). I highlight profusely to help me stay focused and make skimming easier, and other people's highlights etc make me nuts.

but I KNOW what you mean about the smell.... it means there's treasure in there somewhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads