paper books vs. audio books

I'm not an audiobook person, but I know lots of people who swear by them--my niece subscribes to Audible.com. I'd like to hear some pros and cons--maybe I'll change my mind.

2. # ADS

I guess the pros would be that you can "read" while doing other stuff, like working out or cleaning...

I don't like audiobooks though. I can't concentrate at all when I listen (because I start to think about other things when something in the book triggers some thoughts, but when I read that is not a problem, as I can easily stop/start reading and go back to parts I want to re-read), and the spoken text removes the beauty of language.

(edited because there's only one o in thoughts...)

I love audio books. I only listen to certain things on audio though (and only certain titles are available). I like to listen while I read, walk to the bus stop, do mindless photocopying or filing, knit, etc. But it can't be a story that is too complicated or I'll lose track of what's going on. I listen to a lot of children/YA, fantasy/sci-fi, and a few Modern Library top 100 (I'm listening to A Passage to India right now).

If you want to get sold on audio books get one of the Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events books on audio - Tim Curry reads them and the Magnetic Fields do song interludes between chapters!

I have just recently started an Open University course and really miss my reading as all I read now is sensible stuff.... so I borrowed a book on tape bey Frank Delaney called 'Ireland'... this was great I listened to it in the car on the way to work and home again and even sat and listened for a few more minutes before turning off.... I am hooked!!!!

What a great novel and read by Frank with his gorgeous Iroish voice... a few bits of Irish music to help it along too. Quite a magical story.

Remove Ads

Ads