View Poll Results: Do you have reading goals?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 74.07%
  • No

7 25.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading goals

Reading goals

Do you have reading goals?

I have a certain number of books I try to read a year and I also try to read award winning books (especially Nobel Prize and Hugo Awards). Whenever I am at a loss for my next book I try to read something on the Modern Library top 100 list.

2. # ADS

I don't have a goal per se, but I do keep a list of all the books I read during the year, and I try to increase it yearly. Some years I read less than others, but I seem to average two to four books per month.

Last year was the first time I set a goal -- 52 books -- because I was getting a little bummed about the low number of books I was finishing. I'm almost there; I think I'll probly finish it out over break and our AL trip, when we'll be stuck in a hotel room for four days.

Next year I think I'm going to have the same goal, but try to make a certain number non-fic and a certain number fiction. Just because. I'm not sure about that yet, though.

my goals are less about overall numbers and more specific.
    i have dozens of books i haven't read, so part of my 101 goals in 1001 days is to read at least 30 books off of my shelf, not buy any books for 2 months (i did this! and i need to do it again!), and to read specific books.

for december: clan of the cave bears, the tao of pooh, my brother's book (i haven't read it since it was in manuscript form and i feel guilty) and one book off of my shelf. for january and february i want to read 4 books off of my shelf for each month and books about teaching elementary school, child psych, curriculum
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tootsiecat
    i have dozens of books i haven't read, so part of my 101 goals in 1001 days is to read at least 30 books off of my shelf, not buy any books for 2 months (i did this! and i need to do it again!), and to read specific books.
    I did the same thing this summer - I was unemployed and didn't want to spend any money and I had a lot of time on my hands, so I made a pile of all the books I had on my shelves that I hadn't read. It ended up making money because I sold the ones I wasn't too keen on after I read them! Right now I only have two books that I haven't read and I got them in October - I hope to read them over Holiday break so I don't have too much of a pile after Giftmas books start piling up.

I had a goal of 50 books this year. I lost count in April so I have no idea how many I read. But in April it was close to thirty!

My goal is to take the time to read. Sometimes I need to turn off whatever reality-TV show I'm addicted to and use my mind for a change!

This past year my goal was 50 books, which I've exceeded by maybe three or four. I might shoot for 75 next year.

I actually had my best friend (ah, that term of endearment) be really snotty when I mentioned my book goal. She said, "Oh, 50, that's not a lot."

!!!!

Thank goodness there is the Internets where people get excited for you about your book goals. (FIFTY IS A LOT!)

Hey, brdgt, as a fellow grad student do you mind if I ask if you count school books in your total?

I just finished my comprehensive exams, for which I had to read 150 books. Some of those were re-reads, but I did read them all to have them fresh. It took me about a year and a half total from when I started to when I took the exam, so that's what? Somewhere between 75 and 100 books? I read exactly two books for pleasure during the time when I was doing that (though I did read other, non-exam-related, school books in that time -- probably about 30-50).

The idea of having another reading goal exhausts me ... but this thread is inspiring. Realizing that I've read exactly 2 books for pleasure in the last 18 months really makes me want to set some kind of pleasure-reading goal.

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    Hey, brdgt, as a fellow grad student do you mind if I ask if you count school books in your total?
    Only if I actually read them and didn't just skim them. I probably skim about half of my school books - it's why I often have to keep a bookmark under the line I am reading in a fiction book, so I won't be tempted to skim!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads