Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in December 2005?

Lots O' graphic novels for me this month!

Books:
    • A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce - Part of my Modern Library Top 100 Novels project. Certainly not as good as Ulysses, almost seemed like a practice run for it, actually.

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis - excellent, especially if you like baseball ;)

What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank - Didn't care for this. I think is argument is weak and poorly constructed.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - Not as good as the hype, but still very good.

Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks:
    • Star Wars: Clone Wars: Light and Dark (Vol. 4) by John Ostrander, Jan Duursema
      Star Wars: Outlander - The Exile of Sharad Hett by Timothy Truman, Tom Raney, Rick Leonardi, Al Ri
      Star Wars: Twilight by John Ostrander, Jan Duursema, Rick Magyar
      Sin City: Family Values by Frank Miller
      The Sandman: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman
      The Sandman: Dream Country by Neil Gaiman
      The Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman
      Star Wars: Jedi Vs. Sith by Darko Macan, Ramon F. Bachs, and Raul Fernande
      Star Wars: Infinities by Chris Warner, Drew Johnson, Ray Snyder, Al Rio, and Neil Nelso
      Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith by Kevin J. Anderson
      Star Wars: Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire by John Wagner and Ian Gibson
      Star Wars: Empire: Betrayal by Scott Allie, Ryan Benjamin, and Curtis Arnold
      Star Wars: Dark Empire I by Tom Veitch, Cam Kennedy
      Star Wars: Union by Michael A. Stackpole, Robert Teranishi, and Christopher Chuckr
      Star Wars: Boba Fett: Death, Lies, and Treachery by John Wagner and Cam Kennedy
      Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squandron: Requiem for a Rogue by Michael A. Stackpole, Jan Strnad, Variou, Michael A Stackpole, Mike W. Barr, Gary Erskine
      Watchmen by Alan Moore (Author) and Dave Gibbons (Artist)
      Star Wars: Empire: Darklighter by Paul Chadwick, Doug Wheatley, and Tomas Giorello
      Star Wars: Darth Maul by Ron Marz, Jan Duursema, and Rick Magyar

2. # ADS

Oh, I haven't participated in a thread like this in a couple of months (mostly because I've not been keeping up consistently with reading during the school year), but I've definitely read a lot this month!

First of all, I read two books of poetry by two of my professors, but I will leave their names off, in the event that they google their names.

I also read Andrew Zawacki's Anabranch, which is hard poetry to get through and warrants a reread.

Of nonfiction, I read

An American Childhood by Annie Dillard, which was a fun read, and light (for her).

Aguirre by Stephen Minta, which was REALLY exciting, I enjoyed every minute of it. Minta tries to retrace the path of Lope de Aguirre along the Amazon River-- it's all bloody and adventurous and beautifully told, mixed with Minta's own experiences in tiny tropical villages and the people there. Nice.

For fiction I read

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson, which I enjoyed greatly.

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, which I read when it first came out maybe three years ago-- it's still a good read, all Southern and dark and humorous. I loved it.

So, seven books, three of which were poetry, two nonfiction, and two fiction. I'm proud of myself for that!

lately i've been reading a lot less (not work-related stuff) than usual. in december i reread a few old favorites (jane austen, hunter thompson, etc.) and i finally finished listening to oryx and crake by margaret atwood. i really enjoyed it, but found that it wasn't a great audio book choice, as i kept missing key parts and getting lost. i'm still not entirely sure what atwood intended the take home message to be, which i think is at least partly due to my missing sections because of traffic noise. i think i'll have to take it out of the library in book format at some point.

brdgt, what's the modern library top 100 novels project? i don't know if i could read two joyce novels in close succession. portrait of the artist drove me mad when i tried to read it a few years ago.

and soapandwater, i totally feel you on the not keeping up with reading during the school year. lately i've been listening to audio books on my 1/2 hr walk to school, which has been a big help.

i read some things i never thought i'd do by pearl cleage and stiff: the curious lives of human cadavers by mary roach. i had been wanting to read stiff for a couple of years, got it for christmas and devoured it. i love it!

Quote Originally Posted by nucular
    brdgt, what's the modern library top 100 novels project? i don't know if i could read two joyce novels in close succession. portrait of the artist drove me mad when i tried to read it a few years ago.
    Oh, I'm just trying to read as many books on the modern library top 100 novels list:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlib...estnovels.html

Whenever I don't have something else to read I'll take a look at the list and pick something :)

I've been on a Tony Hillerman kick all during December, and I've pretty much read them all. I like his books because they're set on the Navajo Reservation, and since my parents lived in Kayenta for several years, I'm familiar with the country. Other than that, I'm still working on Doris Kearns Goodwin's latest about Lincoln's cabinet.

I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I liked it a lot, though the ending wasn't satisfying for some reason. The plot is similar to Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.

I started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell but got overwhelmed by the size of the book and couldn't make very much headway. I liked the beginning though.

Now I'm in the middle of The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. It's a simple, light, and enjoyable read.

I just finished up Memoirs of a Geisha, then checked out the movie.
    Surprisingly... I thought the movie was very well made and was a good movie re-do of the novel (contrary to what all the critics said). I didn't mind at all that the actors were not Japanese. I mean, they are actors.

December read

The Good Body By Eve Ensler:Excellent, wish I could of seen the play. Quick read.

For December, I read:

* Finished Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. Very interesting. A great read.

* Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes From the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad. Also a great read about the beginnings of the Punk/DIY movement/ethic in American Indie music and culture.

* An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender. Interesting, kinda sad, but well-written.

I never listed my November reads:

* Finished The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Different by Malcom Gladwell. This was another great read and a great setup for reading Freakonomics.

* The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. This is an adult novel (basically a romance, but from a surprising feminist point of view) by the writer of the Anne of Green Gables books. I hated the first few chapters, but then it grew on me. It's kinda corny, definitely "of its time," but ultimately, I loved it. It's also a very quick read.

* The Gypsies by Jan Yoors. This is a memoir of the author's time spent living with Gypsies in Northern Europe pre-World War II. It's pretty fascinating.

* Began Freakonomics.

:-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads