Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Artist's Way - Week 1 Starts 1/15

My resolutions this year include being nicer to myself, and to truly nurture my creativity.

I am thinking about trying to get through the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron again.

I made it through a few chapters before, and as much as I love the book, I eventually gave up because it was hard! Hard to stick to doing the morning pages, and hard to make myself do the difficult exercises that would ultimately help me grow.

I think I need a support group! Is anyone else interested in working through this book with me?

Update: Week 1 Starts 1/15 - Newcomers are welcome anytime!

2. # ADS

I just started that book! I am enjoying it, but I also find it hard to work through the exercises. I'd be happy to work through it with you!

That's another book that I looked at buying...geez, I'm going to have a libary soon!
    So I'm assuming that it's some sort of dedicated schedule to put yourself on? That would be really great for me since I seem to procrastinate a whole heck of a lot!
    I would join you, I need the book first though!

That's another book that I looked at buying...geez, I'm going to have a libary soon!
    So I'm assuming that it's some sort of dedicated schedule to put yourself on? That would be really great for me since I seem to procrastinate a whole heck of a lot!
    I would join you, I need the book first though!

I wish I could join a group like this, but with school I just don't think I have time... I started reading the introduction and I realized that 3 pages of writing in the morning is just not practical for me right now. :) but if you all decide to do it I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress, maybe we can start another round in the summer when school's out.

the-kitschen i'll work through the book with you! i have the same history with it that you do. i really need to challenge myself and push through. i feel like an artist that doesn't produce anymore!
    have you started the book yet? if so how far along are you? feel free to pm me if you don't have any other takers.

Oooh, I already have the book and, like others, haven't made it to the end. Sign me up!

I'm in too. Can someone refresh my memory about the morning pages - do they have to be done as the very first thing in the morning (aside from bodily functions & such), or just before most of your day starts? I usually like to eat breakfast & read a bit first before starting my day.

And when do we start? :)

This is great! Maybe I will actually make it this time!

boheme-anne: The Artist's Way is a book about tapping in to the great spirit of Creativitiy. It's set up in chapters to be read each week, and each week there are activities to choose from to help you develop your own creativity. There are also "morning pages" where you have to write whatever is in your head for a half hour or so, and "artist's dates" where you spend some time with your creative self. It's for all sorts of creative types - painter, crafter, musician writer, whatever.

literary vamp: The morning pages are a beast! I remember her urging to do them before you do anything in the morning. It really is a pain to make time to do them, but I found that when I did them, and then did my morning yoga routine, I set myself up to have a better, less distracted day.

Can we be ready to start next Sunday, the 15th?

If that's too soon, we could give the next few weeks for everyone to get the book and read the intro, and then start with Week I the first week in Februrary.

I'm excited! (and a little scared!)

this sounds fabulous-- I have gotten through about chapter 4 before, and even then i was cheating a bit.

I could start on the 15th or in Feb, whatever works for everyone else.

I'm interested to hear others' responses to the book-- there is so much I love about it, and other things that do not resonate with me-- I've never felt that my creativity is a "demon", nor do I really have people in my life (as a child or now) who I've felt have stifled me or judged my creativity in a way that hinders or paralyzes me now. My memory is that a lot in the book (that is wonderful for frustrated creativity, i'm sure) spoke to those sorts of things, and I had trouble with it. I'm interested to see how other people who don't feel tortured by their creativity or lack of outlet or comittment to it look at those sorts of exercises and make them work.

I am by no means criticising the book-- I think it is wonderful and I definitely want to try to work through it again, especially in the company of craftistas! But I would love to hear how others feel about its tone and focus on those things that block creativity.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads