Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

should I feel guilty...

cause I like romance novels? trashy vampire stories?? Nora Roberts?

I get looks at my college for reading books like these and apparently enjoying them , I guess it makes me what? low class? stupid?? *though I had a 4.0 last term

I like a "deep" book that actually teaches me or touches me or stretches my brain as much as the next person.. I am a feminist , an activist, a crafter, a student..

but sometimes I just want an easy, entertaining read... so why do I feel vaguely embarrassed when I am spotted reading JD Robbs latest?? < which I got last night and was devouring hehe>

I guess I just feel like I read so much "hard" stuff for school lately I want some "fluff" for pleasure reading.. and I don't think it is bad so why do others?

2. # ADS

I haven't bought any romance novels, but I'm known to skim them while waiting for my boyfriend to get off of work at the drugstore. I liked the Nora Roberts novel I was loaned, but I don't necessarily look for her, and I enjoy a good B horror novel or chick lite read (ya know, Bridget Jones, etc.). It's like reading a magazine or watching a light comedy/chick flick. It's a guilty pleasure, but what's the harm in it? Reading is for fun and escape, right? I don't think you look stupid or trashy, or anything else!

I think everyone needs a fun, entertaining read. For some it's romances, for others it's mysteries. I happen to like young adult and science fiction books. I also read a lot of comic books :)

No, in my opinion it's teen fiction for the win!

as long as it's good quality...Sarra Manning, Kate Cann...

I read lots of grown-up stuff and I am aware that teen fiction is targeted at 13-16 year olds, but I still love it.

*sigh* silly people who think that to be mature you must read only stuff you fit within the target audience for!

I actually very rarely read books that can be deemed "guilty pleasures" (though I'm not a fan of the term). I reserve that stuff more for movies. And for humor/puns. And for music sometimes, too.

Human beings are complex. Even progressive, intellectual folks have the right to be free from being pigeonholed. Especially. If we cut off everything in the name of trying to preserve our integrity as intellectuals, we're doing just the opposite. Furthermore, what you bring to the table as a Thinker can help improve the quality of what you're reading.

A lot can be learned from what's popular in our culture, and a lot can be learned about ourselves through pop culture. Do NOT feel ashamed. It doesn't matter what you read, just read.

HECK NO! Don't feel guilty at all-- literary books may get all the reviews, but genre novels are what people really love to buy. Look at the top of most bestseller lists, and you'll see romance novels, mysteries, science fiction etc (and keep in mind that places like the NYT tweak their bestseller lists to try to get more "literary" stuff on there).

People who act like they are "better" than the rest of the reading public and make people who enjoy popular fiction feel guilty need to jump in a lake. It is elitist and judgemental, in my opinion.

Not to say that there aren't people who genuinely prefer literary fiction and nonfiction, but it doesn't make them better or smarter. One of my best friends has a PhD and a law degree and not only reads romance novels, she writes them!

I used to truly believe that Mary Higgins Clark was the best author EVER....

Do not feel ashamed! I like to offset my heavier reading with light fluffy stuff. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a depressing epic. Although I admit that I hide my "The Rule of Four" book under my desk in my english 300 class so no one can see what I'm reading. :)

my friend once told me (in reference to being tired of pretending to be someone she isn't) that she was tired of trying to fit her round peg into a square hole. i always think of this when i'm vaguely embarrassed about something.

april, if you like something, than like it proudly and like it freely!!!! you are who you are and if someone looks down on you because of something you like than that's just a comment on their tiny little character!

I have a PhD, and I love Patrick O'Brien books- the entire series. I do easy crosswords (not interested in The Times) and the circle-a-words in Games magazine. I read folklore and childrens books- I especially love children's books. I haven't gone to a 'serious' movie in years unless I've been dragged to one. I'm an avid kung-fu flick watcher. I've been known to pig out on episodes of 'Walker, Texas Ranger'. I love the fluffier programming on LOGO, and 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy'.

Do I care if this matches the image that people have of me- of a professor-type who drinks wine and occasionally quotes philosophers? Not really. That's what's so great about being a grownup.

Children's books are bad? Comic books are for the unintelligent?? I have a huge collection of comic books, and the boy and I have ongoing series we read quite often. I am often found reading my comics in a restaurant or on a park bench when I first bought them...I just can't wait.

I think that comics and childrens books can make you think in another way and about things maybe you wouldn't otherwise. (I especially adore Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein for this.) It's sad that people will cut themselves out of a potentially eye opening experience just because the work doesn't come across as mature or grownup enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads