Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in January 2006?

Books:
    • Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys - Part of my Modern Library top 100 project. Very interesting narrative style and portrayal of madness.
      The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket - Eh, I think the last one I really enjoyed was The Slippery Slope.
      A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami - My first Murakami book and I loved it.
      The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett - Another Modern Library book. This must have been rather controversial when it was first published, I enjoyed it.
      Rx for Survival: Why We Must Rise to the Global Health Challenge by Philip Hilts - Companion to the PBS series and I don't know if I'm just more forgiving in the visual medium, but this really dropped the ball. Very disappointing. If you are interested in global health, just read Paul Farmer.
      Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire: A Visionary Naturalist by Herve Le Guyader (Marjorie Grene, Translator) - About a famous debate between two "biologists" (biology wasn't really a field at the time).
      Jarhead: A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War and Other Battles by Anthony Swofford - Excellent. Like a Gulf War print version of Full Metal Jacket. Intelligent, realistic, funny and sad.
    Trade Paperbacks/Graphic Novels:
    • That Yellow Bastard by Frank Miller
      Carnet de Voyage by Craig Thompson - Very good.
      Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, Klaus Janson, and Lynn Varley - Nice to finally see Frank Miller do something else, I enjoyed it.
      Star Wars Tales, Volumes 1 through 4 by Dark Horse Comics (Editor) - Some of the stories are great, some are horrible, and Craig Thompson even has one.
      Blankets by Craig Thompson - Captures high school love to the painful extreme.
      The Sandman: Brief Lives by Neil Gaiman
      The Sandman: Fables and Reflections by Neil Gaiman
      Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: Fall of the Sith Empire by Kevin J. Anderson - Not a fan of this series.
      Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic by Tom Veitch, Chris Gossett, Janine Johnston, and David Roach
      Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War by Kevin J. Anderson, Dario Carrasco Jr., Variou, and Mark G. Heike

2. # ADS

that's a lot in a month! i'm jealous...

i read:

I'm Not the New Me ~ Wendy McClure
    Postsecret (not too much reading, but it counts!)
    Persepolis I & II ~Marjane Satrapi
    Super Crafty ~ Portland SuperCrafty Ladies
    and a couple of essays from Jonathan Franzen's How to be Alone (he's coming to my school in march, and I haven't read any of his stuff)

now that school has started up again, BAH! i'll be reading everything under the sun.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Stitch n' Bitch Nation by Debbie Stoller

Up the Duff by Kaz Cooke and Birth: Conceiving, Nurturing and Giving Birth to Your Baby by Catherine Price and Sandra Robinson (for the bazillionth time...)

I attempted The Philosopher's Dog by Raimond Gaita but couldn't get into it and gave up after only a few pages. Maybe another time.

I read about two thirds of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera. I liked it - it was very easy to read - but then I didn't finish it. It was almost too easy to read. I wanted something a little denser.

So then I read So Many Books, So Little Time, by Sara Nelson. It's about a woman who tries to read one book a week for a year. She talks about how she chose each book and how it related to what was going on in her life - kind of like books that include recipes to illustrate how the character is feeling. Like recipes, the book descriptions were interesting antecdotes, especially if I thought I might like to read them.

Then Ender's Game - for the third time. Always good.

Then The Mysterious Affair at Styles, either Agatha Christie's first book, or her first Poirot book - whichever it is, it's the one that made her famous, apparently. I liked it a lot. I'd rate it as one of her top Poirot mysteries along with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Now I'm reading The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett. Almost as good as Bel Canto but not quite. The story is a little depressing - it's about a woman whose husband dies and then she finds out the family he said was dead is actually alive. It's very well written, of course, but sometimes the story feels much heavier than the lightness of Ann Patchett's writing.

The Final Key by Catherine Asaro: I was a bit disappointed with this. I think Asaro needs to stop writing Skolian prequels and got on with the damned story!

In Stone's Clasp by Christie Golden: I love romantic science fiction and fantasy, but overall, I've been disappointed with Harlequin's Luna books. But Christie Golden's series is excellent. I loved this book and I can't wait for book three later this year.

Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 4 by Hiromu Arakawa: My favorite manga (and anime). I love how the story keeps getting darker.

The Neil Gaiman Audio Collection by Neil Gaiman: I loved this collection of children's stories and it was a huge bonus that Gaiman read it himself.

Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx: I just knew this would depress me. I liked the story, but I hated the futility.

Fruits Basket, Vol. 4 by Natsuki Takaya: I love this manga, it's so cute and sweet.

The Shadowed Heart by Catherine Asaro: This is the best thing I've read by Asaro in years. I love angsty love stories about tortured characters.

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The New Year by Pearl S. Buck

Blueprint for Disaster by Darby Conley

blankets by craig thompson - a graphic novel about growing up in a stifling christian environment and first love. loved it.

the earthsea trilogy by ursula k. le guin - fantasy and i loved it. been searching for something to love as much as harry potter. this was close, and now i have to keep searching for something new.

saving francesca by melina marchetta - recommended by a craftista (don't remember who). it's a young adult novel about a teenager coping with her mom's depression. loved this, too. loved.

the courage to be rich by suze orman - mentioned in one of the money threads. great book! suze is the money guru for me. she does not advocate hoarding or stomping on people on the way to the top or shady schemes. and the best was a chapter on making charitable giving a happy and consistent part of your life.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    blankets by craig thompson - a graphic novel about growing up in a stifling christian environment and first love. loved it.
    I recommend his book Carnet de Voyage as well :)

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    the earthsea trilogy by ursula k. le guin - fantasy and i loved it. been searching for something to love as much as harry potter. this was close, and now i have to keep searching for something new.
    :-)
    I don't know if you are interested or not, but there are three more Earthsea books, but they are written more for adults. The titles are Tehanu, Tales from Earthsea, and The Other Wind.

Clan of the Cave Bears -Jean M. Auel

Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult

The Other Boleyn Girl -Philippa Gregory

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads