Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

zines/comics/graphic novels

is anybody really into comics/zines/graphic novels? i'm styaing here with my best friend in baltimore, and whenever i'm in town i go to atomic books and buy a bunch of comics. i usually read a page and see if its interesting, but also i like to buy them because of their art work. the only graphic novels i've read are clowes' ghost world and ice haven as well as nafisi's persepolis I & II. any suggestions? comments? insight?

2. # ADS

Well, first off, if you're at Atomic Books, feel free to ask the staff. They're very helpful and, well, opinionated. :>

My graphic novel tastes are somewhere in the middle--not really into Superman, but also no knowledge of superunderground stuff. I'll usually pick up anything with Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, or Andi Watson's handprint. On to the recommendations, though...

"Sin City" (Frank Miller), "A History of Violence" (John Wagner/Vince Locke) and "From Hell" (Alan Moore/Eddie Campbell) were recently made into movies; if you've seen and liked the flicks, maybe pick up the comics they're based on. Or read Moore and David Lloyd's "V for Vendetta" before it becomes a film!

On my to-read list are the following:
    • I Never Liked You by Chester Brown
    • A Child's Life and Other Stories by Phoebe Louis Adams Gloeckner
    • Berlin by Jason Lutes
    Do let me know if any of those three work out for you, and I'll bump them up higher in the to-read queue! ;)

Finally, if you and you BFF want free admission this weekend to a local art museum near Hamden, PM me. I've yet to meet a craftista or craftster and would love to do a favor. ETA: Strike that; closed due to snow.

I read a lot of trade paperbacks and graphic novels. I'm too poor to collect them - I wait until they are bound and available at the library.

My favorite comics that I read last year (out of a total of 38, so these are the cream of the crop):

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
    Y the Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn
    The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
    Channel Zero by Brian Wood
    Watchmen by Alan Moore

Oh yea, I'm a big comic and graphic novel fan. I love anything by Neil Gaiman and/or Dave Mckean, and I used to read the Sandman series.

I also read the early comics in the Spawn series by Todd McFarlane. And of course everyone knows and remembers The Crow by James O Barr.

Some other graphic novels/comic series currently are:

The Walking Dead
    Dead Eye Open
    Land of the Dead
    Doc Frankenstein
    Shaolin Monk

I also read the Death Jr series when it was out, and I loved the graphic novel of Clive Barker's Thief of Always.

I will check out the authors on my graphic novels and comics for you. Right now there's a pile in the office closet that I'm just too lazy to organize, heh.

Oh, also, if you loved the Evil Dead movies, like I did, check out the comic series with Ash!

Lone Wolf and Cub is a great graphic novel series.....there are 24 books i think. I loved it!

hi. what they all said in posts before me and i'd add:

Transmetropolitan
    The Acme Library / Quimby Mouse / Jimmy Corrigan
    Blankets
    Fables
    Johnny the Hommicidal Maniac
    100 Bullets
    Preacher

and these Publishers are neat:
    Top Shelf Books
    Slave Labor Graphics
    Fantagraphics

Everything by Clowes. (word of caution - Velvet Glove & David Boring are acquired tastes.)
    Everything by Los Bros Hernandez. I could stare at each panel of Jaime's artwork for days. And I have cried more at the death of some of Gilbert's characters than that of actual people I've known. If you read only one comic series in your life, make it Love & Rockets. You'll want to make everyone you know read it too.
    For an education on recent history & world events: Joe Sacco.
    If you like meticulously detailed realistic artwork and autobiographical stories of a disturbing troubled youth: Phoebe Gloeckner.
    Sometimes wacky, sometimes poignant autobiography with frenetic, obsessive art that doesn't take itself too seriously: Julie Doucet (you actually hear her writing in a French Canadian accent, which automatically makes everything 30% more adorable.)
    Obligatory reading for life: Lynda Barry.
    Artwork similar to Clowes (they're friends), sometimes touching, sometimes pointless (sometimes both) slice-of-life short stories: Adrian Tomine.
    Amazingly detailed alternate world (calling it sci-fi or fantasy just isn't accurate) with characters you really care about, oh yeah, and many real modern pop-culture references: "Finder" by Carla Speed McNeil.

thanks for all th rec's. i like the wide range everyone is in to. i work at a bookstore, so when i'm lazy i go over to the graphic novel section and read (and try not to get caught), and i recognize some of the titles.

i just finished reading one of the comics i got, it's called papercutter, i thought it was just one story, but it showcases like three writers/artists. i also read dang brand comics which was really cute, and picked up ' will you still love me if i wet the bed?" by liz prince. it's cute,and i was actually going to give it to my boyfriend for v-day, but i kept reading it and it's page after page of 'its cute/funny if it was you/you were there/etc/etc'. some of the little pages were cute to me, just because mena dmy boyfriend do a couple of things they mention, but it left me with a i want to throw up both in t a posi/neg way. hehe.

i love aaron cometbus - his life and his writing.

as for graphic novels, jordan crane is big on my list. also looking to check out paul pope - he's doing the new batmans but he's got some older stuff that looks excellent - really dark and grimey.

Atomic books is my favorite too! I don't live in baltimore anymore, but when I visit family I always stop in and check to see whether CRAIG THOMPSON has put out his new book yet (Goodbye Chunky Rice is an all time favorite comic). There are some great compilations out there (I like picking up compilations when I am just getting into a genre)- NOME is a periodical that has just started, KRAMER'S ERGOT always has some great folks in it. BRAIN RALPH's "Cave In" is a classic already. I ditto the Jordan Crane recommendation as well.

And the next time you're at Atomic- check out the latest issue of KNIT KNIT- a great crafty zine that they stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads